cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Synchronizing file names

New member | Level 2

If the name of some file is changed on one computer, say from myfile5 to myfile6, and subsequent changes are made the content of the file, the content of the file is synced, but not the name. On the first computer the name is changed, but on the other computer, it stays stuck at 

How can one modify this behaviour (on a Mac)?

3 Replies

Re: Synchronizing file names

Dropboxer

Hello @ab26, I'd be more than happy to help!

In general, any changes that you make to files in your Dropbox account should be reflected in the website and any other connected device. 

Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see on both devices when you click on the Dropbox icons that are next to their clocks?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

On both computers, I have the same file named "essai11.tex".  I use LaTeX, and when I typeset this file, I get a host of files named "essai11.toc", "essai11.pdf" and so on.

Now, I make a copy on computer number 1, which is entitled "essai11.tex copie". Then I rename this copy as "essai12.tex" You can see that if typeset the new file, I get "essai12.toc", "essai12.pdf" and so on. 

Everything is instantly sent on computer 2. But, as you can see, on computer 2, the file  "essai12.tex" keeps its old name "essai11.tex copie", whereas all the files produced from "essai12.tex" on computer 1 have their proper name essai12.toc", "essai12.pdf"... 

I hope this is clear. 

André

P.S. I cannot add images. When I click on the small camera icon above this frame, I am asked for the entire Unix/MacOS path of the source, which I cannot type, of course.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @ab26

Could you also let me know the following pieces of information to make sure I have a solid understanding of what you're seeing:

• What's the original file type that was created on the first computer with the LaTeX app?
  • How do you rename the files? From your Finder, the desktop app, or the third party app (by saving a new ifle or a copy)?
  • Could you also have a look at the version history of the renamed files
  • Could you check your events page for any additional details about changed that happened in your account, especially about these files?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Synchronizing file names
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post