Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Syncing Home Computer Deletes Files & Folders on Work Computer & Online

Explorer | Level 3

So It's been a while since I synced my Home Computer (PC) with DropBox, The majority of the work is done on a couple of iMacs, iPads etc. at the Office.

I opened DropBox on my Home Computer this morning and received a message from the Office saying hundreds of files and folders were disappearing off DropBox, they were all being automatically deleted off the iMacs external hard drives at the office without any user interaction.

I checked the DropBox online with Chrome and it showed a ton of folders and files deleted (after showing deleted items), So I closed DropBox completely on the Home Computer and it stopped deleting everything. I had to get to the Office and manually restore all the deleted files and folders through the browser online, now I'm sitting here syncing over 35,000 files. 

This is not the first time this has happened, the first time we chalked it up to some random occurrence but it appears syncing at home causes mass deletion of files if dropbox is not running and syncing 24/7 365...

Both the main iMac at the office and the Home Computer are set to Sync All, no selective syncing...

So what is the issue? I'm afraid to start syncing my DropBox at Home again for it's going to mass delete everything and I'll be stuck syncing ridiculous amounts of files again.

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Syncing Home Computer Deletes Files & Folders on Work Computer & Online

Dropboxer

Hey there @syncds

Welcome to the Dropbox Community. I'd be more than happy to help look into this!

At first, you can check your events page to find more info about these deletions. 

From there, you can check out to see if the behavior you're experiencing upon starting the desktop app may be due to a third party app or another similar software running that syncs content. 

Let me know what you find and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I've looked at the events page, I restored the files as previously mentioned, this doesn't explain WHY or HOW the files were deleted when syncing from another computer, all it says is 'deleted' it provides no other information as to why.

There are no other programs on the Home PC running a similar syncing, no one drive, no google drive, no other dropbox, etc.

Super User II

@syncds wrote:

So It's been a while since I synced my Home Computer ...

How long is a while? It's pretty common for a computer that's been offline for a long period to do something like this, ESPECIALLY if it didn't finish syncing before it was last powered off.

Explorer | Level 3

@Rich about a week, the home pc is always on but dropbox isn't always running, but one would think it would just sync and add files that are on dropbox not remove files that aren't on the PC

Highlighted

Super User II

A week shouldn't be an issue. In fact, my laptop is offline for two to three weeks at a time and syncing is fine. Most people that experience such a deletion from an old system have left them offline for months or even years. In your case, the best guess I can offer is that it might have been in the middle of a sync process when Dropbox was exited.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Syncing Home Computer Deletes Files & Folders on Work Computer & Online
5 Replies
0 Likes