cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Syncing Mac external HD to Dropbox

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I want to backup my external HD (LaCie, 4TB) to Dropbox. I know you don’t recommend it. But the drive will be connected to the computer at all times.

However, when I try to move the Dropbox folder, using the applications preferences, it says it can’t move the folder. My drive is APFS formatted, so I don’t know what’s wrong. Can you help?

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Syncing Mac external HD to Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @Leonie- - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues when moving your Dropbox folder to an external drive. 

Could you forward me a screenshot of the exact error you get so I can further advise? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hello, thanks for the reply.

The error is:

Fout bij het verplaatsen van Dropbox

Er is een onverwachte fout opgetreden tijdens het verplaatsen van je Dropbox-map. Maak je geen zorgen, je bestanden zijn nog steeds veilig.

Which translates to:

Error moving Dropbox

There has been an unexpected error moving the Dropbox folder. Don't worry, your files are still save.

Or something like that.

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-13 om 08.05.12.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the reply @Leonie-!

As this is a pretty generic error, I'd suggest rebooting your device and giving it another try. 

If you're still getting the same error, let me know if I could use the email address that's connected to your Community's profile to reach out so we can work on this internally.  

Thanks a bunch and have a lovely weekend in the meantime. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Syncing Mac external HD to Dropbox
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post