cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox icon keeps syncing

Syncing is stuck on a Mac. What could be the culprit here?

robynphd
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a Mac Air (photo attached includes system data). I have noticed for the last two days that the DropBox desktop icon is constantly syncing three files. I have no "blue icons" in my Dropbox folders. I have tried the following:

1) stopping the sync and restarting...nothing changed

2) stopping dropbox and reloading exising app...nothing changed

3) updated dropbox and loaded it on computer...nothing changed

HELP...this is occupying valuable CPU bandwidth and slowing my computer down.

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 11.21.04 AM.png

30 Replies 30

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Wow... @macgarvin,

I don't pretend for high knowledge in MAC, but seems very strange that work in any way, even for you. Anyway... try following:

chmod a+rx /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/*.dylib

Execute above in 'macgarvin's context.

Check, after that, if something changed when launch Dropbox in s context. If there is some other error, post it.

macgarvin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Здравко wrote:

... try following:

chmod a+rx /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/*.dylib

Execute above in 'macgarvin's context.

Check, after that, if something changed when launch Dropbox in s context. If there is some other error, post it.

Many thanks @Здравко, that worked - Dropbox launched on user Jennifer's side and relinked and succesfully synced.

The 'ls' terminal command now results in:

Grey-Malkin:~ macgarvin$ chmod a+rx /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/*.dylib
Grey-Malkin:~ macgarvin$ ls -l /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/libdropbox_sqlite_ext.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x  1 macgarvin  staff  52368 30 Oct 18:55 /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/libdropbox_sqlite_ext.dylib

and 
Grey-Malkin:~ jennifer$ ls -l /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/libdropbox_sqlite_ext.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x  1 macgarvin  staff  52368 30 Oct 18:55 /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/libdropbox_sqlite_ext.dylib

Incidentally, I was surprised to see 'macgarvin' referred to in both accounts, so I looked on another mac that had continued to work without problems, same OS version and same (automatically updated) Dropbox version. For these the 'ls' terminal command returned a slightly different string, but 'macgarvin' was referred to on both sides, so I assume that wasn't part of the problem:

Pink-Kitten:~ macgarvin$ ls -l /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/libdropbox_sqlite_ext.dylib
-rw-r--r--@ 1 macgarvin  staff  52368 30 Oct 18:55 /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/libdropbox_sqlite_ext.dylib
and

Pink-Kitten:~ Jennifer$ ls -l /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/libdropbox_sqlite_ext.dylib
-rw-r--r--@ 1 macgarvin  staff  52368 30 Oct 18:55 /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Frameworks/libdropbox_sqlite_ext.dylib

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution
Don't worry. This string denotes the user who has installed Dropbox application. 😉

macgarvin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Unfortunately the problem appears to have re-emerged on one of the machines - in the current manifestation stuck on perpetual sync on my user account.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for circling back to us with this update @macgarvin

Would it be okay if I reached out to you on the email address connected to your Community profile, in order to further advise based on the info I have on file on my tools? 

Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

macgarvin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks @Jane

Would it be okay if I reached out to you on the email address connected to your Community profile, in order to further advise based on the info I have on file on my tools?

Yes that's welcolm - though currently the issue has disappeared without action on my part; I'm on v85.4.155 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for keeping me in the loop here & for your confirmation @macgarvin

I’ve now sent you a brief message through our system to make sure that this has been fixed, since you’ve been working with us for some time. Please have a look at your inbox when you have some spare time. 

Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

HipstarSounds
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The Stable Build has NOT fixed the problem for me. Still stuck syncing two files. Any other ideas?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @HipstarSounds, thanks for taking the time to drop us a line here! 

I’ve now located your support ticket on our system, I’ve notified my colleague of your comments & I’ve increased your priority internally to help expedite matters on my side. You should expect a message back from them, however could you try Fixing Permissions in the meantime to see if this does the trick? 

Please let us know how you get on with this & we’ll go from there. Thanks again!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

HipstarSounds
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jane, 

Thank you for your reply! I am currently in correspondence with Janet from Dropbox Support also regarding this issue. I have now completed the instructions from both of you but the problem still persists. 

Thank you for the help so far and I look forward to hearing back regarding the next step.

Need more support?