cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Syncing problem apparent automatic one time update.

New member | Level 2

Earlier this evening, I noticed that Dropbox was running (in the Win 10 system tray). The icon indicated it was syncing, but I hadn't changed any files since the previous sync. When I hovered over the icon, it said that it was installing a one-time update. That process never seemed to end. Eventually, I just clicked on pause syncing, rebooted, and now when I hover over the icon, all I see is Dropbox 89.4.278/Syncing. For 2 hours. I detached my device, reattached it, and it shows me the same status. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling, but if that'll help, I'll do it. It's just that I use SmartSync and there are many folders and individual files all over the place that I have defined as online only or local -- that will be hard to duplicate again. Any suggestions to get this working? Thanks for any help!

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Syncing problem after apparent automatic software update

Helpful | Level 5

I am having the same issue.  One computer updated Dropbox and then synced ok.  My laptop updated but has stopped syncing.   Tried everything, reload Dropbox, restart computer, no luck. Can't wait to hear the solution.

Explorer | Level 4

Same problem. Any ideas?

Helpful | Level 5

I am wondering if the update yesterday removed Win7 computers.  I did not upgrade this laptop, but will, and now that Win7 is not being supported, I question whether Dropbox has disabled it.

Dropboxer

Hello everyone! @xihuanyu @PeterLatemore @Grady O. 

I want to start with saying that Dropbox still works on Windows 7 and we do support it. 

As for the one time update, there are updates that need to re-index your files for all improvements to go through. It is called "One time update" for you to know that this process is not very common. books Read more info about updates here

I suggest the following to have this necessary update completed as soon as possible. 

1. Let it sync. Remove the sleepmode from your computer. Do not uninstall. Do not unlink or relink. 
  2. Speed it up  Arrows Counter Clock Steps. 

3. Use Selective Sync or Smart Sync. The less files you have for the desktop app to index, the sooner the update will be completed. 

4. Make sure the application is on a stable version.

Stable versions look like this: **.4.***

Beta (under testing versions look like this: **.3.***

Let me know if you have any more questions. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Fiona

I reloaded Dropbox as you suggested.  I did the same thing on Thursday, but my D: drive did not sync.  Today though, it worked.  I have 89.4.278, which i think was the same as Thursday.  The difference was, I did not 'remove' Dropbox from the tray first, and let the installer run.  So, happy now, with lots of green ticks.  And we are very careful about selective syncing by the way.  Well over 70% of our data (around 1Tb in total) is not synced to the computers.

Cheers and thanks again, Peter

one time update?

Helpful | Level 5

Hello --  It seems that  the DB client on my win10 machine was  doing a "one time update" and  while this was happening, none of my changes  sent to the cloud or any other computer on my account -- 

Is this update a code update or a  check to see that all the files are in sync?  If its the file update, they I can see why it would take some time since I have over 100k files in the db tree

Re: Syncing problem apparent automatic one time update.

New member | Level 2

The problem appears to be an update that Windows pushed out about ten days ago (around January 15, 2020).  Exact same behavior on my animation workstation.  Reinstall of dropbox and all sorts of pausing and un-pausing did not work.

I had an Acronis backup of my main drive that I made in June 2019 and I did a restore of that backup and all worked well again.  Windows noticed the lack of recent updates and immediately pushed out updates.  All went well until the "Update for .NET Framework" update installed and I was back to a broken Dropbox, claiming to synch but actually doing nothing.  

Thus, this seems to point to the Windows Update breaking the system.  The Update is actually crucial because it patches a severe Windows 10 vulnerability.  

The only thing that fixed this was brute force:  I removed Dropbox and renamed my sync folder.  I installed Dropbox and ran it as if it was a new program.  I tried to move all my backed-up files from my "oldDropbox" folder to the new "Dropbox" folder but the system got stuck in the same synching while doing nothing mode, even after waiting on the system for many hours.

So, I tried having Dropbox synch to a new empty Dropbox folder.  It worked and seems to be acting normally.  The downside?  I have over 1.5 TB of synced data and it took two days on a fast Fios connection.  

So, my solution worked.... but it is a horrible brute force option and I spent six days before feeling confident it was working again.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Syncing problem apparent automatic one time update.
7 Replies
6 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post