Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Team Folders vs Shared Folders

New member | Level 2

I'm inquiring about the most efficient way to use the folders within Dropbox. I am operating off of a business account and my company has about 15 different dropbox users. We use Dropbox to monitor and track progress with our construction projects. 

When a new job starts, we create a team folder and add the specified members to the group, and then add that group to the team. This way of managing is nice because you still have the admin monitoring the job folders. However, we've noticed the ease that comes with using a shared folder, like how you can add people outside of your business. 

I guess what I'm looking for, is the best instance of when to use a Team folder and when to use a Shared folder. Their features seem to have some overlap, and I want to ensure we are being the most efficent with our business. 

Thanks!

1 Reply

Re: Team Folders vs Shared Folders

Dropboxer

Thanks for posting your question @annikaolsen37nerd face

To make this as simple as possible, the only thing you cannot do with Team folders, is add non team members to the top level group you share this type of folder with. Groups inlcude only team members. 

As you already know and correctly mentioned, you can add non members to shared folders instead. This means you can add not team members in the folders you have inside your Team folders. winking face

Shared folders do not allow you to share sublevels with different permissions. Read about this shared folder limitation here

I would be happy to advise more on sharing. Just get back to me with all your questions! 

Have a nice week! Coffee

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Team Folders vs Shared Folders
1 Reply
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post