Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Team member unable to create paper doc within Shared folder.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I just started using Paper yesterday and created a shared folder. I am on the Plus plan and invited 4 members who are on the free plan. They are able to access and edit the paper docs but they don't have the option to create new Paper docs within the shared folder.

I thought it should work the same as Dropbox files where members can create and edit files if they are within the shared folder.

The Shared folder is currently set to "invite-only" and there are no options to change this.

Is there solution to this or am I doing something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit:
From my team member's accounts, when they are within the shared folder. It is possible for them to create new Shared folders but no option to create new paper doc. When they try to select a paper doc, this error came up "Can't select doc  because it was created with an older version of Paper."

3 Replies

Re: Team member unable to create paper doc within Shared folder.

Dropboxer

Hello @buffywan

Welcome to Dropbox Paper, to Dropbox Community and your first thread with us! Happy to have you here and thank you for sharing this concern. 

What you are describing is an expected behavior for now. I will explain everything. As a new Dropbox Paper user are one of the lucky ones to have Paper in your Files. grinning face gift

The other users, as you are describing, don't have this option because they have been using Paper already. Please check this thread on the same topic: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Discuss-Paper/Create-Paper-doc-missing-in-Dropbox-desktop-app/m-p/36...

These users can create Paper files from their Paper tab and share them normally with you and you can create your Paper docs in your folder and share with them. However, at the time they can not create Paper docs from their "Files" page/in the folder you have shared. We’ll be rolling improvements out over the coming months however currently there is no timeline for releasing this feature to existing users. 

Now, my suggestion for you to work in the folder you already have with them is to create a few empty Paper docs in there for them to work on, since they cannot create them on their end (for now). winking face

Please get back to me with any questions or concerns! 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona,

Actually it is other way round, I have tried using Paper previously and the other 4 members only created their free dropbox account yesterday.

The workaround is fine and we will do that first.

Thank you so much for the explanation! I was more worried that I did something wrong.

Dropboxer

Truly glad to have helped with this concern! grinning face with smiling eyes dividers 

Feel free to get back to this thread with any feedback for the Paper files you and your cooleagues are working on. 

Thank you again for posting about this. 

Happy Friday! 

d88f74c961c07a1102b7caf9af846e5f.gif

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Team member unable to create paper doc within Shared folder.
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post