Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

The Auto-Delete Nightmare of Sync and Backup

New member | Level 2

I have three questions in regards to maximizing Dropbox for my business, having already signed up and now being charged an annual fee.

The questions are ones for which I have seen variations but no specific solutions, and they come in three parts: Syncing ONLY the Desired Files, Moving Files, and Backing Up.

Before anyone gets all puffed up with endless “Dropbox sucks as a backup utility”…. I know this already.  HOWEVER, I believe that there MUST be a Workaround with a few extra steps to make these three parts relatively easy to perform.  

I am hoping some Super-User here knows my anguish and can offer Workarounds towards solving these problems, and / or methods of careful step-by-step procedures that render safe results.  

I cannot afford yet another Cloud Storage program for the number of files for which I am already paying a premium here at Dropbox.  Dropbox will therefore necessarily need to be shoved, cajoled, pushed, nudged, and prodded until it yields at least a Solution [which would completely unnecessary if DB would actually update their configuration to improve these obvious user requirements I continuously see mentioned here in the forums].

Allow me to describe how I use Dropbox and the exact problems I am encountering:

1) For File Sharing (obviously).

I have a file.  I drop it into the Dropbox Desktop Folder, it uploads to Dropbox and the files are Synced.  Now I can share it as needed.  Yea!

HOWEVER, I want to keep ALL my uploaded files (MANY!) Nicely Organized in clearly nested sets of Folders, and as we know Dropbox only really deals with the Top Level of files online (e.g. If I drop something into the Dropbox Desktop Folder it uploads it to the Main File List in Dropbox Online).  I CANNOT switch ON the Selective Sync each time I want to upload a file to access the particular Nicely Nested Folder Online because THEN Dropbox wants to Sync the Whole **bleep** Thing!!!

PROBLEM ONE:

In the above Scenario, IS There A Way to get that File where it belongs online (in the correct Nested Folder) in Dropbox WITHOUT having to enable the entire set of Nested Folders???

(*i.e. thus avoiding Syncing anything but the Desired Filewinking face

PROBLEM TWO: 

I now want the same Original Computer file OUT of the Dropbox Desktop Folder and back into my Normal File / Folder Nest in the place Where It Belongs in my computer configuration. (+Does Dropbox REALLY think that we want 100% of our files in the Mother Folder of Dropbox Desktop?!?!?!?+)

SO I go to move the original material Back To Where it came from only to get Warning Messages telling me that if I do so then it will be removed from Dropbox as well….?!?!

SO I Disable Selective Sync but THEN Dropbox tells me that the copy on my computer is going to get deleted….?!?!?

OR I go to move the file from the Top Level Dropbox Folder Online to, oh you know, SOMETHING ORGANIZED like a folder for that kind of file, only to have Dropbox promptly REMOVE the file from my computer!!!!  WTF DB???

SO It seems my only option is to:

A) move the original file back to its starting folder and PRAY the Dropbox online file does not get deleted, or

B) Perhaps Make and Alias / Shortcut from the Original File in its Proper Folder and put THAT Alias / Shortcut into the Dropbox Desktop Folder?  But does Dropbox see the files in the Shortcut as being in the Dropbox Desktop Folder, or only the Shortcut / Alias itself?

I mean SERIOUSLY…. could this be any more UNNECESSARILY complicated????

Dropbox has not updated their design significantly in almost TEN YEARS.  

WHY oh WHY is there this Gaping Hole in the Dropbox mechanism????

2) Backing Up a File / Folder

Say what you want, preach another program so I can go spend more money on something that THERE MUST be a way to do this on Dropbox….. but either way Dropbox OPENLY STATES they are a “Backup” utility.  So what aren’t they telling us?

PROBLEM THREE:

I just want a copy of my File (Call it File dizzy face on Dropbox for the purposes of Cloud Storage.

I drop the files into the Dropbox Desktop Folder (because Drag & Drop via the website only works for very small files).

I want said File X to be NICELY ORGANIZED within a proper and relevant Folder on Dropbox.

I need to MOVE File X into that Nicely Organized location.

BUT when I go to do so I encounter the same archaic, double-doomed options as described in Problem #1 above.  

SO how do I simply move A COPY of a file from its location on my computer to a roughly matching location (in terms of nested folders) on Dropbox without all the AUTO-DELETE BS ?!?!?!?

Assume for the same of discussion it’s a folder of files that I need to COPY, and too much for Drag & Drop.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

1 Reply

Re: The Auto-Delete Nightmare of Sync and Backup

Dropboxer
Hi there!

@HazingDolphin wrote:

In the above Scenario, IS There A Way to get that File where it belongs online (in the correct Nested Folder) in Dropbox WITHOUT having to enable the entire set of Nested Folders???

The first thought that popped into my head would be to upload the file through the website. That way, your files and folders will sync across all the other connected devices, but will stay selectively synced wherever you have set it as such. 

To upload files or folders via the website, please follow the steps below:
  1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Upload.
  3. Choose Files or Folder.
    • If you choose Files, select as many files as you like and click Open.
    • If you choose Folder, select a folder and click Upload.

@HazingDolphin wrote:

SO I go to move the original material Back To Where it came from only to get Warning Messages telling me that if I do so then it will be removed from Dropbox as well….?!?!

The prompt that you see sounds like the one referred to by other users in this thread. As mentioned there, this message checks if you want to delete the file or folder in question from your device (in which case it recommends to use selective sync) or from your Dropbox account. If you want to delete it from your Dropbox account, just go ahead and select “Delete everywhere”. 

Please note that if you move a file outside of the Dropbox folder, the file will be removed from your account, or in other words, from the website and other connected devices. If you’d like more info on this, I’d kindly recommend giving this article about syncing a read.

Furthermore, if you don’t want to sync selectively synced folders to apply changes outside of the Dropbox folder, you can download a copy of the file in question from the website. 

@HazingDolphin wrote:

Assume for the same of discussion it’s a folder of files that I need to COPY, and too much for Drag & Drop.

In this case, you can try uploading the files of the folder in smaller batches through the website, or if this causes an inconvenience, try to sync the folder in question that you have selectively synced so as to add your files/folders could be another option. 

Nonetheless, I’d also kindly recommend giving Smart Sync a read, which allows you to view the structure of your files and folders without taking up a lot of space on your hard drive, as you can have selected files and folders online-only

Let me know if you have any other questions! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

The Auto-Delete Nightmare of Sync and Backup
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post