cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

Anthony A.25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@cdysthe wrote:
It's because the money is in enterprise storage, not us maybe paying $10/month. I think Dropbox is making a mistake though since there are many storing their photos on Dropbox who also are decision-makers when it comes to corporate cloud storage.

That's just it - they didn't have to spend any additional money because it was already done. They had to spend money to remove it. Your second point is true, though. In my case, I am moving every business I manage to something else because I don't want to deal with the fallout of not having albums, which all but one of my clients use. The major issue has been the lack of clear communication. I don't particularly like Google, but their communication is better than what I've seen at Dropbox, so I'm willing to give them a shot. Management is also a little better, but I was fine with the Dropbox management console as well. This really comes down to photos.

Pin L.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

For me, they got to learn from the team in China. Rolling out good new features so fast that competitor can't catch up with it.

Martijn P.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So yeah, I'm out.

Thousands of photo's sorted in many many albums, all gone and no way to keep it.

No really, download everything for days and then spend more days resorting them and uploading them again with duplicates or only one level of sorting?

What could possibly be a good reason for removing this simple feature of adding a piece of meta data to your photos...

Disaster.

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Ok I'll bite.  What Chinese service are you plugging?  "Rolling out good new features so fast that competitor can't catch up with it."

alphachannel
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Are you talking about http://photowranglr.com ? It's not a Chinese service. Looks like a landing page MVP - meaning, they're trying to gauge interest before they build and release. If you find that service valuable, I'd sign up for their e-mail notification to be notified when its ready (I did).

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Dude. Stop peddlaning photwranglr. It’s clear you are a sock puppet with no other purpose than to promote it. Every single one of your posts mentions it. Can a mod do something about this?

alphachannel
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I just strongly believe in making positive change for DropBox photos, which is clearly a big point of consternation. Plus, the guy above asked. I'm sorry you have a problem with this.

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

No.  No I was not asking about photowranglr.  I was asking  Pin L.  He has some secret Chinese software that evidently kicks so much ass he can't tell us what it is.  XD.  This thread is great.

cdysthe
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I was looking into what to do with my albums. I assumed there would at least be a way to convert an album to a folder, or at least select all pictures and moved them to a folder, but I can't find either option. Am I overlooking something? If that is not possible having Albums go away be much more of a problem. 

DolphinUser1212
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Chiming in to voice my extreme frustration with this ridiculous feature takeaway. As a paying Dropbox user, the loss of albums is a deal killer for me. This just hit my radar, one week ahead of the 7/17 decimation of albums, and only because I logged on to my desktop.

There has been zero notification on my Android app.

I spent the last several hours following their ridiculously cumbersome workaround - download dozens of albums (with tens of thousands of pictures) so you can upload them again as folders - brilliant change management Dropbox product managers #sarcasm.

To no surprise my computer disc is now full, as someone previously posted, if I had that much space on my computer why would I need Dropbox?

Horrible customer service Dropbox. This is simply unacceptable.

Like many of you, I'm looking for alternatives now. Happy to take my loyalty and my money elsewhere and tell anyone I know that Dropbox is to be avoided for business and personal needs, because they cannot be trusted to manage feaures appropriately or keep the customer's needs as a top priority.
Need more support?