cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

TrelaRott
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I knew the photos was changing, but where did my albums go?  I've read that I can't create new ones (which is ridiculous, unless there's another option coming -- fingers crossed), but surely I can access my old unshared albums?  Somewhere?  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

JunHill850B wrote:

My photos are automatically uploaded and then I organized them into folders according to my jobs.

Which you can still do.

I used these with my clients to view the rooms we are working on, and can share the folders with them as we work. We also used it to easily share hundreds of photos with our website design team.

The folders you place your photos in can still be shared.

... and only show a screen of tiny thumbnails (with no ability to make them large enough to view)

Change the display from list view to grid view.

Grid View in a shared folderGrid View in a shared folderGrid View in your own accountGrid View in your own account

Aardvark
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Came back to see if they had pulled the trigger yet, and they sure have. The new Photos 'app'/page is completely useless. Its an unresponsive turd with 0 functionality. Why even bother having it? I'm very much vindicated in cancelling my Dropbox subscription now.

"https://www.cultofmac.com/216665/a-tour-of-dropboxs-amazing-new-albums-feature/" << They should do a follow up.

I hear a lot of people talking about Dropbox focusing on tacking the Enterprise market, they've got no chance. Every enterprise worth knowing about is getting storage services from MS, Google, etc. It comes built into other software offerings. Why pay for Dropbox when you are already spending money that offer the same service with much more already?

Dropbox differentiated itself from its competitors by having a better product...now, well now they have nothing worth knowing about. I will sit back eating popcorn over the next few years and watch Dropbox circle the drain on its way to complete obscurity.

kfrancis
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well folks, it took me over a week to deal with reorganizing, downloading and uploading, and storing all my files in Google Drive and Google Photos---hunched over a computer even longer hours than I usually do. And guess what? As much as it was a pain in the ass and I was furious at the idiocy of how Dropbox handled this unresponsive turd of a Photos page (to use the phrase of the last user who posted here), I am SO GLAD I have moved all my stuff. The Google Photos platform is so easy to use, beautiful and full of smart features.  Let this encourage you: Just get out. It's worth the annoyance and mind-numbing work it will take to move all of those files. 

I've already downgraded my subscription so that the payment won't renew. I've moved on to greener pastures, and left the dark ages of Dropbox.  

Good luck to all of you!

sgibbard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Stunningly dumb decision to eliminate Albums. That is the ONE feature that kept me using DropBox. I will now begin the process to decommission my account. Whoever came up with this idea should lose their job. Hope it was worth it!

sgibbard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wow. An unbelievably stupid move to eliminate Dropbox Albums. It was the ONE feature that kept me with Dropbox. Say bye-bye to me and many, many other users. Truly mindboggling.

suziedog
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is so silly and puts me off Dropbox which otherwise I like a lot. I would love to further subscribe and buy more storage, but what's the point when Google photos blows Dropbox out of the water.

FuzzyMicrobe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The changes made to remove the photo albums and sharing capability in the Dropbox web site are a massive step backward in your service.  I have been a paying Dropbox customer for many years, and the photo album sharing capability was one of the defining features that made me choose your service over other competitors.  

As an IT professional myself, I read your explaination of the reasons of why the sharing capability was removed as "Our devops guys couldn't figure out how / didn't want to make this work at scale, so we are essentially giving up and removing the feature... Sorry 'bout that - have a zip tool!".  The person/group at Dropbox that made the decision to pull album sharing are going to cost the company a lot of loyal paying customers in the long run.

It is unfortunate, but I am seriously re-evaluating whether or not I will continue to use your service, or go elsewhere for my cloud storage.  I will gladly pay a few dollars more each year to another provider to have the ability to quickly and efficiently share photos and videos from my cloud storage.  I don't pay for a cloud service to have that provider summarily remove an existing capability and replace it with a stop-gap, inefficient measure down the road because, well... just because

SlimJimBScot
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why did you decide to do this stupid move? You have made storing photos on Dropbox completly useless. Why did you do that? I'm unable to find anything, can't spend months scrolling photos a screen at a time. I only decided to use Dropbox because I purchased a new Mac with only half the storage of my old one. So being able to store and manage files and photos on Dropbox via my browser was the attaction. Now the experience is garbage.

I'm the user - make the experience better for me not worse please. 

Jim 

SlimJimBScot
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Totally agree. This is the worse change to a service I've ever come across in my 40 years of using computers.
Need more support?