cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

Sarah N.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Have you tried Flickr?

@M S.1 wrote:
Google - Bad support, too restrictive on where to mount folder and it's Google. They scan your pics and I don't trust them.

OneDrive - I have a free TB of space to use with OneDrive. Problem is that it is buggy as hell, has file limitations and have changed terms/services so many times I can't feel comfortable using them.

Unbound for DropBox is just ok... Forevery doesn't work with large photo libraries.

ShoeBox is for photos but does not do file sharing. I need file sharing for my business.

I've been looking at Sync.com but they have no photo solutions.

I have a Synology but have no interest in having 1 fail point at this time. Also would like a service that is compatible with Synology Cloud Sync. Sync.com is not one of them anyway.

mr_e
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks for the tip! I just checked it out and yep, I'm moving onto Google Photos as well. Do you know if there is a way to transfer straight from Dropbox to Google Photos without having to download the pictures first?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

mr_e wrote:
Do you know if there is a way to transfer straight from Dropbox to Google Photos without having to download the pictures first?

Neither Dropbox nor Google has such functionality. There are third-party services you can use to move files between cloud accounts. Do a Google search and you'll find them easily.

bwraith
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

FWIW, I am using multcloud successfully to transfer thousands of photos and videos from Dropbox to Flickr, creating albums in Flickr (with the same name as the directory on Dropbox) of each directory of photos and videos coming from Dropbox. I purchased their premium service, so I'm not sure how well it would work without the premium service, especially if you have a large volume of data to transfer. I know they have an option to use Google Drive as one of the sources or destinations, but I have not tried multcloud with Google.

mr_e
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Awesome, thanks!

@bwraith wrote:

FWIW, I am using multcloud successfully to transfer thousands of photos and videos from Dropbox to Flickr, creating albums in Flickr (with the same name as the directory on Dropbox) of each directory of photos and videos coming from Dropbox. I purchased their premium service, so I'm not sure how well it would work without the premium service, especially if you have a large volume of data to transfer. I know they have an option to use Google Drive as one of the sources or destinations, but I have not tried multcloud with Google.

Rob A.13
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I should have mentioned that while I send my photos to Google Photos (free) which makes searching and sharing a breeze, I also backup full res files to OneDrive as I have an MS Office subscription.

I know some folks have an aversion to some vendors. I'm happy with this solution... for now. 🙃

Anthony A.25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It amuses me that somewhat early in this conversation some idiot from Dropbox said the point of this is to treat all files the same, so it's actually an advantage for us. In reality, there are two classes of files people care about on a computer: viewable and non-viewable. They are different and should be treated differently as a result. This change is really stupid. That's as constructive as I can be because there's simply no other way to describe it.

The dropbox client not being able to maintain more than 300k files is bad enough, but this is the last straw for me. I'm out. My personal and business accounts both heavily rely on albums.

Scott N.15
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

If you really want to get in touch with Dropbox and ask questions or make your feelings known, I would suggest Twitter.  I made a post to @DropboxSupport and received a reply within 4 hours.  It wasn't what I wanted to hear but they did reply.

I personally have been using Flickr for years.  Once you get used to their bulky interface it works very well.  But it doesn't solve the problem of files other than photos.  For that I am staying with Dropbox.  I have used Google Drive and One Drive and neither works as well or as flawlessly as Dropbox.  

webfors
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
3+ years as a paying customer, with one of the very tangible benefits of the service being their Photos options. I'm open to suggestions on a full replacement alternative. I suppose now they are just like OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, and all the other variants. Maybe it's time to create my "OwnCloud".

Eric S.83
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having problems creating changing albums into folders.  If i try to download the files from the album it exceeds the 1GB limit. So I'm not able to do this very easly.

Is there anyway that someone can let us know what the new photo experince is going to be like or are we all SOL.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

M S.1 Collaborator | Level 9
    alphachannel Helpful | Level 6
    Anthony A.25 Helpful | Level 6
    PlanetJuno New member | Level 2
    Darren S.1 Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?