cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Requested Operation Couldn’t Be Completed - Dragging & Dropping iPad Files

The Requested Operation Couldn’t Be Completed - Dragging & Dropping iPad Files

Kirky29
New member | Level 2

Dragging and dropping error using the stock files app on iPad OS (13 latest) with the latest version of Dropbox installed. 

Each time I try to drag and drop a file using the files app I'm greeted with an error message: The requested operation couldn't be completed because the feature is not supported.

Any ideas to fix it? Or is it just another Dropbox issue that won't ever get addressed like the missing favourites bug?

Note, dragging and dropping works flawlessly using Google Drive, One Drive, iCloud etc. I've tried removing and redownloaded Dropbox etc. 36D6F994-FDC8-4B06-AA49-2E163310CA9C.jpeg

26 Replies 26

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Kirky29, thanks for posting on the Community!

In order to look into this further, could you forward a screenshot showing that the iPad is currently running iOS 13.3.1 from the iOS Settings app?

Also what type of iPad are you using? Are you running the beta version of the Dropbox app or the latest stable version?

Keep us posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rponton
New member | Level 2

Hi, I am having the same problem. Please advise of the fix. Thank you!

Kay V.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

when trying to move files within the Dropbox using the iOS file manager (iOS 13.5), I get the following message:

"The requested operation couldn't be completed because the feature is not supported"

This makes the iOS file manager pretty useless for me, do you have any suggestions how to solve the issue?

Thanks in advance

Kay

Willeverywhere
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I'm getting the same error when I try to drag and drop in the Files app, here is an example when I do it through two windows (but the error is also thrown when I try a drag and drop in the same window) :

E5FB329A-888A-4453-A08F-606A56F4993A.png

My configuration:

iPad Pro 2020 on iOS 13.5

Dropbox 190.2.2

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Kay V., thanks for reaching out to us here!

Perhaps instead I can suggest taking this action through the Dropbox app instead. To move a file within the app, you can tap the "..." button next to the desired file and choose "Move" from the available options.

Also, if you need to quickly open a file in Dropbox that you have open via the Files app, you can press and hold the file to open the menu and choose "Open in Dropbox" so that you can take the relevant actions from there.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kay V.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

thanks for your reply. I was aware that you can move files using the Dropbox app. The question remains, why it doesn't work using the iOS files app, contradicting the manual of your website?
https://help.dropbox.com/en-en/installs-integrations/mobile/ios-files-app 
I mean this is a really basic function so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I like the iOS file app better because the layout is much clearer and I I can use different cloud solutions. 
It does work with Onedrive though, so Apple I assume Apple isn't the culprit?

Will the issue be solved in the near future?

Thanks a lot

Kay

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Willeverywhere, thanks for posting today!

The iOS Files app isn't originally developed by Dropbox, so the amount of troubleshooting we can provide is limited.

Could you try disabling and re-enabling Dropbox via the Locations tab on the account?

If that doesn't work, then I'd recommend contacting Apple for further support, since the app was developed by them.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kay V.
Explorer | Level 4

Same problem here, too (iPad Pro 2020 w. iOS 13.5). I do not experience the issue with Onedrive and Googledrive, so I am inclined to point the finger at the Dropboxteam rather than at Apple. No problems with my old iPad Air 2 with iOS 12, btw.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me here @Kay V..

I'm looking into this on my side, so please bear with me while I do some digging.

In the meantime, can you just confirm for me which version of the mobile app you have installed? You can check this by opening the Dropbox app, tapping the "Account" tab, tapping the gear icon and then checking under "App version".

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Kay V. Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?