cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my video audio out of sync for video files uploaded to Dropbox?

Why is my video audio out of sync for video files uploaded to Dropbox?

criehl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have .mov file I created in which the audio sync is correct on my computer (Mac). But when I upload the .mov file to my DropBox account, the audio is out of sync in the copy on DropBox.

How do I fix this?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

criehl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I figured it out.  The file on DropBox is fine: when I DOWNLOAD it, there are no sync issues. So it looks as though the problem is opening it from DropBox. The playback Codecs playing from the Web site mess up the sync. But as long as the file is fine, my co-collaborators will be able to download it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @criehl, could you please elaborate a bit on this so as to have a better understanding? For example:
  • How did you add the video to your Dropbox folder? From the website or the desktop app?
  • Are you previewing this on the website or using your Dropbox folder on your desktop?
  • Are you having this issue with only that video or others too?
  • If you added and/or are previewing the video through the Dropbox folder, could you please let me know what the Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock reads when you click it?
Thank you in advance! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

criehl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I figured it out.  The file on DropBox is fine: when I DOWNLOAD it, there are no sync issues. So it looks as though the problem is opening it from DropBox. The playback Codecs playing from the Web site mess up the sync. But as long as the file is fine, my co-collaborators will be able to download it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for writing back, @criehl

Hmm. :thinking: Out of curiosity, do you experience this in all browsers available on your device, as well as incognito mode? Could you also ensure that you’re not running any browser extensions or plug-ins that could be hindering the process?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MrMisterHarris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am having this same issue when uploading to dropbox from the website. When trying to post on Instagram the video and audio is out of sync.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @MrMisterHarris

Could you please clarify if the video also plays out of sync when you preview it on the website and when you download it locally on your computer?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

MrMisterHarris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
It plays out of sync on both. I am unsure how to fix

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying that for me, @MrMisterHarris.

Dropbox doesn’t alter your files, so if a video plays out of sync even after downloading it, it means that the video was originally, uploaded that way.

However, another possibility is that the video player you are using doesn’t have the correct codex to play the video.

In this case, try using another third party app to play the video locally and, if it still plays out of sync, locate the original video and try uploading it again. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

MikeyL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same sync issues . The file is fine , it's just the Dropbox playback .

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

When viewing files on the Dropbox website you're not viewing the original. You're viewing a transcoded preview of the original file. The conversion process is rarely perfect and can often times create undesired results, especially in videos. The preview is not intended to be used to stream the original file. It's just a preview of the original.

To view the file in its original form, you need to download it and play it locally. If it's out of sync when you play it on your computer, then it's a problem with the file or video player that you're using.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

InsaneNest New member | Level 2
    ariadesigns New member | Level 2
    Guitan Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?