Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Time machine backup stuck using smart sync

Helpful | Level 5

With smart sync’d folders on the macOS machine, Time Machine backup hangs. Selective sync folders didn’t cause the same problem.

I understand excluded folders don’t backup. The problem is that the backup process hangs unless I exclude the whole Dropbox directory from the backup process.

Need a fix right away.

12 Replies

Re: Time machine backup stuck using smart sync

Super User II

Have you also reported it to Apple as its their software which isnt quite working?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 5

No, I don't consider this to be Apple's problem. Time Machine is built into macOS hence not a "third-party" application. If Dropbox wants to advertise "works with macOS", then, this is a Dropbox issue. Never mind that this problem didn't exist with Selective Sync...

Super User II
I'm not convinced it is a Dropbox issue as it is working with OSx its not working with a specific part of it. If you dont want to cover all bases to get it resolved then thats your decision ultimately.

And you cannot compare it to Selective Sync at all because they are totally different. Selective Sync files do not exist on the system anywhere at all.

You may wish to log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support but I also strongly suggest at least reporting it to Apple (especially as this is the first time I've ever seen this as an issue).

Once its logged you can track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 5

Obviously, you are not a macOS user...

Really, not helpful at all...

Super User II
Actually I am a Mac User.

On 10.13.4 iMac 27inch and a MacBook Pro with touch-bar

Dropboxer
Hey there @mshasegawa, thanks for checking in with us on the Forum, welcome aboard! ⛵ I just wanted to clarify in a bit more detail concerning this. 

What you’re describing in your very first comments seems to be expected and happens due to both apps having their own versioning system. Do keep in mind that Time Machine (which is a back up service) is set up to see your files and monitor them so as to identify changes made to them.

Off the top of my head, in order for both apps to play nicely with each other and to use them, your best bet at the moment would be to utilize Selective Sync instead. More specifically, I’d kindly recommend applying Selective Sync to some of your files/folders and backing up in smaller batches. 

You may also have a look at this thread and this one where similar topics of discussion were raised. Finally, I’ll add you comments and pass them along to the dev team for review. 

Feel free to get back to us here with any more questions and we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Yes, Selective Sync works. I had my service downgraded because the only reason for upgrading was Smart Sync.

By the way, although I appreciate Dropbox as a service, and I have been a long time user, I really don’t understand this attitude of “Dropbox playing nice with Time Machine is Apple’s problem”.

Dropbox is the 3rd party software, not Apple.

Oh, also, who are these non-Dropbox “helpers” dishing out meaningless advice? They aren’t doing you any good...

New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. Downgraded from Pro since I was mainly interested in the smart sync. Too bad it's not compatible with time machine. 

New member | Level 2

So glad I researched this thoroughly before enabling smart sync. I saved my self a ton of time repairing things just because Dropbox doesn't want to make it known upfront that smart sync doesn't work with Time machine. What a sucky attitude. Own it and you will keep the Mac users. The way you are handling it you are pissing off one Mac user after another. Not a very smart way of doing business. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Time machine backup stuck using smart sync
12 Replies
9 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post