cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring files from dedicated server

Transferring files from dedicated server

marciano1
Explorer | Level 3

I own a Linux remote dedicated server.  Is it possible to bulk upload files to Dropbox?

9 Replies 9

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @marciano1,

If there is not something which is able to prevent that - Yes. :wink: What doubts do you have?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @marciano1!

As @Здравко also mentions, you should be able to move your data in batches. 

You can find more info about migrating data from a server to your Dropbox account in this article

Let us know if you have any follow up questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

marciano1
Explorer | Level 3

This is the third time I write a reply.  It doesn't show up, I don't know what happens

marciano1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

It is a remote dedicated server (CentOS) so I cannot

"Install Dropbox on your server computer. Make sure you're accessing the server directly and are not logging in remotely."

I access it via ssh, ftp, https control panel
Thank you
(this is the fourth time...)

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @marciano1,

Yes, like every one Linux application Dropbox need a session to work on. Unfortunately Dropbox application isn't a system service, but a client application (could be said client service, but i don't like that). So, it's need active session graphical or terminal! You can use any kind of session login (using local terminal or ssh), but connection have to be stable or the session and after that the application would terminate inadvertently. The responsibility is entirely yours. !!! ftp or https can't be used for such things! :wink: They are dedicated for your web server.

You can turn Dropbox on while already logged in and make sure stop it before logout! That's it. :wink:

Hope this helps.

marciano1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

Okay, from local Terminal (Ubuntu) how do I login to Dropbox server?
After connect how do I transfer files/dir ?
Is it possible to use rsync?
Thank you

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @marciano1,

:grinning: If you planne using rsync, what is Dropbox for?! Even for local server set (if you are using such) Dropbox LAN sync would be more suitable.

Dropbox is sync service and when everything is ready and the application work, cloud content is in sync with corresponding local Dropbox directory automaticaly (just application have to be run and, as a result, two direction sync is performed). Dropbox is using OAuth login procedure. In short: You have to login Dropbox in your favorite web browser at the beginning. After that, following install instructions you will get to a moment Dropbox ask you to follow a link (authentication link). In same web browser open this link. There you should approve that you want new application to be added and... that's it. You are ready.

Alternative install is using a script, which take care to install everything needed. Take care only to small correction in one variable name which you have to make by hand (described below the script).

Hope this helps. :wink:

marciano1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I think in rsync only to use it once.
I am in the way of making more HD room in server.
I have a directory with around 200GB of files.
I also have a local backup of it.
I understand that installing Dropbox locally and "copying" that local dir (the backup) to Dropbox folder would be set.  But it envolves bandwith, traffic plan,  whatever, so it would be easier to "move" that large folder from remote server to Dropbox server and then keep it synced with my local directory

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

I'm not sure understand you. Dropbox do the same thing... why rsync should be need? In such a way files will be transferred twice. Even more, for two file copies conflict situation can appears!

@marciano1 wrote:
...  But it envolves bandwith, traffic plan,  whatever, so it would be easier to "move" that large folder from remote server to Dropbox server and then keep it synced with my local directory

That's exactly what Dropbox do. Probably I misunderstood your question. :no_mouth:

ADD: You don't need to keep everything in sync to your home computer. You can use "Selective sync" or "Smart Sync", so non server network traffic (your local computer/laptop) will be decreased. :wink:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    marciano1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?