Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Trying the Marie Kondo on computer - Can I get out of DropBox yet have my files?

Explorer | Level 3

I don't even know why I signed up for Dropbox. I was doing a lot of probono work in non profit sector so thought it safe for their things?  We back up with other options for personal files.  

Just discovered how much is on that "casual" Dropbox account - and what I was paying for it.  

I love having lots of photos on my phone (what granny doesn't?) and now they say if I remove the files from Dropbox they will disappear from my devices. 

Curiously, my phone never had the sync photos "button" on yet Dropbox is full of my photos.  I think they got there frorm Dropbox being on the laptop which gets them from icloud/syncing.

How can I download what's on Dropbox without losing it on my iphone and laptop

Help!!!

a Granny with Gratitude for any assistance

1 Reply

Re: Trying the Marie Kondo on computer - Can I get out of DropBox yet have my files?

Dropboxer
Hey there @inlarkspur!

Initially, please bear in mind that when you add a file or photo from the website, the mobile app that’s installed on a mobile device, or the desktop app on your computer, it gets added to your account and any changes you make to it (whether you edit it or delete it) are reflected throughout all platforms. 

This is done by syncing it, one of the core Dropbox features, which keeps your files up-to-date across your computers, phones, and tablets. 

For example, if you delete a photo from the mobile app, it will be removed from your account, and as a result, from the desktop app and the website too. 

However, if this photo is not in your account, (in your mobile device’s internal storage or outside of your Dropbox folder on your computer) then the photo isn’t synced to your account and thus isn’t deleted. You can also have a look as to how to download contents locally here

Finally, it sounds like you had camera uploads enabled, which automatically uploads all your photos in your Camera Roll folder on your phone to the mobile app and thus synced to your account. You can check more info and how to disable it (should you want to) in this article

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Trying the Marie Kondo on computer - Can I get out of DropBox yet have my files?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post