Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Unable to sync Config.msi

Helpful | Level 5

Hello!

In the last few days my Dropbox icon at the taskbar is constantly blue and showing the message "unable to sync Config.msi".

I looked for this file in My Computer, and nothing shows in the results. I also enabled the option to see hidden files, and tried to browse the file manually (by looking at which folders are blue/syncing in My Computer) but Explorer shows all folders except the root one as green/complete. In the root folder there is no Config.msi.

How can I solve that?

BEST

8 Replies

Re: Sync problem - Config.msi

Dropboxer
Hey @Diego5

Have you recently started using another app on your computer? Perhaps something that creates and uses referenced locations to sync to Dropbox? The reason I ask is that I have seen similar issues before when using 3rd-party apps (Boxifier, I’ve seen pop up a few times). If this is the case, then I would suggest that you remove the 3rd-party app, and use our desktop app alone. 

If this is not the case, let me know, and we’ll go from there. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Hello, Sanchez.

Thanks for your help.

No new apps in the computer lately. I do have Boxifier, but it’s been a long time and it never gave me any problem (there were no updates to it recently, so I don’t think this is the cause).

What else do you suggest?

BEST

Dropboxer
Hi Diego5, thanks the additional information!

As you mention trying all the steps that @Sanchez provided you with I will add a few more steps and see if it works for you.

Dropbox takes time to transfer files between your computer and our servers, and most standard consumer ISPs offer 1/10th the upload speed when compared to the download speed and larger files will take longer to sync.
If you look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) it will show if it is done syncing saying ”Up to date” on the menu. If you don´t see this then let me know what you see.

Have in mind that certain messages may change, and file numbers or sizes may increase or decrease while this process is occurring. 

Can you double check if there are any referenced directories here and follow (step 7) of the article provided just to make sure that this is not the case?

Lastly, a screenshot of the error message (omitting any personal information) would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Collaborator | Level 9

Hi ,

Razvan from the Boxifier Team here. Due to our long experience with Dropbox, our team has acquired a deep understanding of how Dropbox works. Therefore we can troubleshoot even the most puzzling issues.

If you would like our team to give a try at figuring this out, just let me know by e-mail: [email removed as per Community Guidelines]. We offer this for free to our users, no strings attached.

Thanks,
Razvan

Helpful | Level 5

Hello, Norah.

I am aware of the points you brought. My taskbar icon is blue with the message "Syncing Config.msi" (see attachment, as requested).

There are no referenced directories.

[Screenshot containing sensitive info removed]

BEST

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
I contacted Razvan and in a few minutes he solved the problem, using Team Viewer to remotely access my computer. It was perfect.

Config.msi was a folder (yes, the name is misleading, not a file) that was hidden in my Computer, and couldn’t be accessed by Dropbox. That’s why it was syncing forever.

Razvan found the hidden folder, it happened to be empty, he deleted it, and voilà!

Eveyrthing is fine now.

Thank you very much!

Dropboxer

Hey Diego5, thanks for the additional information!

As I will need to thoroughly investigate, I followed up via email in order to continue troubleshooting with all our tools available. 

Looking forward to your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey @Diego5,

I’m glad to hear you managed to get a solution by @Razvan B. and thanks for letting me know.

Feel free to ask if anything else comes up! 

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Unable to sync Config.msi
8 Replies
13 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey