Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Unable to upload files in the Dropbox app

Level 4

Hello, I am unable to upload files in the Dropbox app. Nothing happens at all. When it happened on Friday, I thought maybe I was out of space. I've since removed everything and it is still happening. I can create folders, but I am not able to drag and drop or use the upload files option. I've signed out and back in as well as clearing my cache. Any suggestions? Thank you! 

5 Replies

Re: Unable to upload files in the Dropbox app

Dropboxer
Hey there @CrystalBanning,

So I’m assuming that you are referring to the mobile app, is that correct? Could you let me know a little more info about this such as:
  • The OS of the device you are using (eg. Android/iOS)
  • Do you see any error messages when trying to upload files?
  • Is this for all files or only certain types?
  • Does this persist over other WiFi connections or cellular data?

Can you let me know what issue you run into when trying to upload files through the Dropbox app with the steps outlined in this article here. Any screenshots (excluding any personal info) which would help with showing the issue would be most helpful.

Looking forward to your reply - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I am using the desktop app.  

• The OS of the device you are using (eg. Android/iOS) - Windows 10
  • Do you see any error messages when trying to upload files? - No error messages
  • Is this for all files or only certain types? - All types of files.
  • Does this persist over other WiFi connections or cellular data? - Connected directly to internet, not WiFi. 

Below are screenshots from my actions of trying to drag and drop into the folder as well as trying to upload directly from Dropbox. Screenshots 2 and 4 are the same because nothing changed. There wasn't an error message, just nothing happened. I loaded many items on Friday and it stopped working, but I was under the impression that my account was full. After emptying it today, it still won't allow me to add files.

Thank you for your help!

Crystal

Dropbox Screenshot 1.pngScreenshot 1

Dropbox Screenshot 2 and 4.pngScreenshot 2 and 4
Dropbox Screenshot 3.pngScreenshot 3

Dropboxer
Hey again @CrystalBanning,

Thanks a lot for the clarification there!

So from what I see, it appears that you are running the Dropbox app for Windows 10 in S mode rather than the app for computers. The app you have installed is from the Microsoft store rather than from our website so works a little differently.

If you want to have a Dropbox folder on your device that you can easily drag and drop files into and sync with your account, then I might suggest uninstalling the S mode version of the app and installing the version from here. The S mode app works similar to the mobile app in that your files are not stored locally in the device but allows access to them when connected to the internet.

Otherwise, instead of dragging and dropping the files, can you please click the + icon in the top right in the folder you want to move files to? You mentioned that you also had issues uploading this way too though, can you clarify what you meant by this?

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

Hi again Daphne,

It's so strange that it suddenly stopped working. I tried using the plus sign (that's what screenshot 3 was), selecting one file, multiple files and nothing happened. No error messages, nothing uploaded. 

I didn't realize there were different versions of the app for desktop. I installed Dropbox from your link. A folder now shows up on File Explorer. It has allowed me to copy the items to the folder. I think I am good with this process now. 

Thank you again, have a great day!
Crystal

Dropboxer

It does seem strange indeed that the S mode wasn’t working as expected for you. However I’m glad that what I suggested is working for you with the desktop app for computers. 

Should you need to access the desktop app settings or want to view the sync status, you can click the Dropbox icon in your system tray near the time display. Seeing this icon will also allow you to easily see that the app is running and will be syncing your files.

If you have any other questions then let me know - Thanks!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Unable to upload files in the Dropbox app
5 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post