Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Unrequested dropbox link with msWord iCloud files

New member | Level 2

On my iPad, when I click on an MSWord file which has the little iCloud symbol (meaning it is not yet downloaded it to my iPad,) the file opens Dropbox immediately and wants me to save it in dropbox.
I simply want to download the file onto save it in Files on my iPad.

Tags (2)
8 Replies

Re: Unrequested dropbox link with msWord iCloud files

Dropboxer
Hey there @mcguaire2,

Would you be able to send me a screenshot of the “save to Dropbox” prompt you see when tapping the file?

Also, when you are looking at the file within the Files app, could you try to select the file (instead of tapping it directly) and then click the “share” icon and let me know if you are able to save the file as you’d like to that way? 

Finally, would you mind just clarifying the exact location of the file when you are trying to save it to your iPad?

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Cannot save onto my iPad files that I have downloaded from iCloud. Dropbox interferes.

Explorer | Level 3

I download one of my files from iCloud onto my iPad. The file now has a small cloud symbol attached to the name.   When I click on the file to open it, with the intention of relocating it into a specific folder, immediately Dropbox opens and asks me where I want to save the file. 

I am not given a choice to save the file on my iPad within my MSWord program. 

This issue has only been occurring recently and I have no idea why. 

Tags (2)

Re: Cannot save onto my iPad files that I have downloaded from iCloud. Dropbox interferes.

Dropboxer

Hey there @JaneyHarper - sorry to hear about this.

I believe that this setting is handled by your iPad's OS, but, just in case, could you forward me a screenshot of how this looks like on your end along with the exact steps you take to result in this so I can have a further look?

Thank you!

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3
Same with my iPhone. Very annoying!

Dropboxer

Hey @PedroF

Would you mind taking a look at my previous reply and providing some more info on the issue that you're having? This will help me to understand your exact situation better in order for me to assist you further.

Can you also let me know if you have the Microsoft Word app installed on your mobile device?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Daphne
Yes, I have Word app installed on my iPhone, Excel and OneNote as well.
The issue occurred with Excel files too. With OneNote I didn’t try.

Please see these 2 images:
1 - My iCloud app where you can see several word documents. When I tap one of them...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2528al3bx54wqh/Photo%2010-09-2019%2C%2021%2048%2024.png?dl=0

2 - ... Dropbox opens.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8a5g05d73pk3ex/Photo%2010-09-2019%2C%2021%2037%2006.png?dl=0

3 - After that, in iCloud Drive app, the download icon (a cloud with an arrow) has gone.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtbd8o7niw29l17/Photo%2010-09-2019%2C%2021%2049%2011.png?dl=0

Re: Cannot save onto my iPad files that I have downloaded from iCloud. Dropbox interferes.

Explorer | Level 3

Cannot forward you the image. However, my iPad immediately OPENS DROPBOX, goes DIRECTLYinto dropbox and asks which IN folder I would like to save the word doc,

Dropboxer

Hey peeps, thanks a lot for the additional info!

As @Walter mentioned previously, it does seem to be an issue with the OS deciding which app to open the files in. I was able to replicate the issue only after choosing to open a file with a certain app, which then persisted to open other files the same way as you described. I'd recommend contacting Apple Support at this point to see if they can further assist with this issue.

In the meantime to work around this, I've found that you can open the files in another app by tapping the "Select" option in the top right of the Files app window. Then, select the file and tap the "Share" option and choose the correct app.

To move the file you can long tap the file and you will get some options appear above, one of which is to move the file.

I hope this helps to some extent!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Unrequested dropbox link with msWord iCloud files
8 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post