Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Unsharing a folder - process stuck

Explorer | Level 4

I'm the owner of 5 of folders that were shared with a few people. I need to:

- remove everyone else's access to these 5 folders

- move 4 of these folders in to the 5th.

I tried removing each other person from each of the folders, but when I try to move the 4 into the 5th, it won't let me and I get a message that shared folders can't be moved to other shared folders. But none of them are shared any more?

I also tried using the Unshare button, but I just get a small bar at the bottom of the screen that has a spinning blue wheel in it, saying 'Unsharing...' that just keeps going, and going, and going...

What do I need to do?

Thanks!

Kate

14 Replies

Re: Unsharing a folder - process stuck

Super User II

@katelewis wrote:

... it won't let me and I get a message that shared folders can't be moved to other shared folders. But none of them are shared any more?

They are still shared, with you as the only member. Removing everyone from a shared folder doesn't disable the folder's shared status. You are still a member. You need to unshare the folder.

I also tried using the Unshare button, but I just get a small bar at the bottom of the screen that has a spinning blue wheel in it, saying 'Unsharing...' that just keeps going, and going, and going...

Have you tried using a different browser yet?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Rich, thanks for your assistance. 

I've tried Chrome and Edge. That's all I have, and I don't have admin privileges on my computer (I'm at work) to install anything else.

Is there any other way to remove myself from the folder?

Thanks,

Kate

Dropboxer

Hi there @katelewis!

Could you perhaps try using an incognito/private browsing window to try and unshare the folders again? 

If the issue still persists with this, please clear your browser's cache and try again.

Let us know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I have the same issue as katelewis. FireFox, Chrome, and Chrome ingocnito have the same issue. All browsers and all shared folders show this perpetually when attempting to unshare:unshare.png

Is there a next step in troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Nate

Dropboxer

Hey there @raycad, thanks for joining us here!

Did you perhaps try clearing your browser cache too to see if that helps at all?

Can you check that you're running the most recent version of your preferred browser?

If the above suggestions don't seem to help, could you try resetting your browser to its default settings?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Daphne. I tried a new browser I never used before (chrome canary), and also cleared the cache in the usual browser, but had the same issue.

It may be an issue with either the code base or a resource on Dropbox's end or something with my account. The same issue persists in the android dropbox app. Attached is the android app unshare attempt.unsharing-issue-android-app.pngunsharing-issue-android-app.png

It's not a big deal since I can copy the folders and delete the originals as a workaround. Take care.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @raycad!

I'd be more than happy to look further into this with you if you'd like to, even though you have a workaround in place.

If so, let me know and I can reach out to you through our Support channel from the email linked with your Community profile.

Otherwise, if you already have a ticket open with the team, please feel free to let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567).

Thanks!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 4

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I work only part-time so have been away from the issue.

I also used the workaround and did what I needed to do last week (apparently my colleagues do this all the time). I didn't find a way to solve the problem any other way.

Thanks for looking though, and thanks for the advice given above from all parties. 

Kate

Explorer | Level 4

Ticket #10015148 is open for this issue. Thanks for your help!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Unsharing a folder - process stuck
14 Replies
2 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post