cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unspecified Error trying to open word, excel or PowerPoint files

Unspecified Error trying to open word, excel or PowerPoint files

NGraham1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, 

I have a fairly new laptop that was purchased in March that I use for all my personal and professional work. I started a new gig with a company in June and was given access to their Dropbox account. I've never had an issue accessing any file or making edits however the last two week I'm unable to open any MS office files created by any of the team members. I'm able to open documents and files created by me on my laptop. It's been very frustrating as I'm unable to troubleshoot the problem and need help urgently. 

Many thanks! 

Nicolette 

Unspecified Error Dropbox.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Celeste
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @NGraham1!

I understand you are not able to open certain files via the Dropbox desktop app. 

Is there any chance the files are currently Smart Synced to 'online-only'? If so, there will be a gray cloud icon by the files, and you can right-click on them and set their Smart Sync setting to 'Local'. 

Alternatively, some applications have limits on the file paths they can access (for example, Excel has a limit of 218 total characters), and so shortening the entire name/path to the file may help. 

You can check all of our sync icons and possible syncing issues here, too, for reference. 

If the file is local and the file length is not the issue, can you copy the file to outside of the Dropbox folder and see if you can open it then? This will help determine if this is syncing issue or a file-specific one.  

Let me know what you find, thanks!

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Celeste
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @NGraham1!

I understand you are not able to open certain files via the Dropbox desktop app. 

Is there any chance the files are currently Smart Synced to 'online-only'? If so, there will be a gray cloud icon by the files, and you can right-click on them and set their Smart Sync setting to 'Local'. 

Alternatively, some applications have limits on the file paths they can access (for example, Excel has a limit of 218 total characters), and so shortening the entire name/path to the file may help. 

You can check all of our sync icons and possible syncing issues here, too, for reference. 

If the file is local and the file length is not the issue, can you copy the file to outside of the Dropbox folder and see if you can open it then? This will help determine if this is syncing issue or a file-specific one.  

Let me know what you find, thanks!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

NGraham1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Celeste2, 

Thank you so much for your response. Turns out my files were set to sync online only that was causing the error to show up. I'm in the process of synching the folder that I  work in everyday and see that I'm able to open most of the files now. I also agree there might be a few files where the file name can be shortened. 

Thank you again for your help. 

Nicolette 

Celeste
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to have been able to help, @NGraham1!

In regards to the file names and paths you can find a full list of incompatibilities here, which may help you locate and avoid bad characters/symbols in the future. 

Have a great rest of your week ahead! 

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

aa88
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Celeste - So it this to mean that Smart Sync is not intended to be used to actually open Microsoft Office files? Will I have to select 'Local' for all files like this? I was trying to keep everything SmartSync'ed and so trying to understand if I have a problem (I am experiencing the same problem as the user above) or if this is just the way it is. No MS Work, PPT, or Excel docs will open. All generate the "Unspecified Error". 

Thanks!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @aa88

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Initially, please note that Smart Sync is a space-saving feature for your hard drive. So, by setting files to be online-only, only specific information is downloaded to your computer, such as the name, the location, and the date it was updated. 

If you want to edit it, you'll have to make it local, so that the relevant information becomes available for you to make changes. 

I hope this helps clarify a bit, but let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mike-B
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Lusil wrote:

If you want to edit it, you'll have to make it local, so that the relevant information becomes available for you to make changes. 

Hi @Lusil 

We have team members that have this same problem.

Can you please point me to the support documentation that covers this limitation? We were under the impression that Smart-sync'ed files would still be "openable". This seems like a severe limitation that I have somehow completely missed! Luckily our DB Business plan is still within the trial period. Looking forward to some clarafication.

Cheers.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Mike-B, I'd be more than happy to help!

Online-only files save space on your hard drive by taking up as little storage as possible. In this case, only specific information is downloaded, such as the name and the path.

For a third party app on your computer to open a file, it needs to have all the relevant information available, which can be done by converting a file to local. 

You can find more details about Smart Sync, and online-only files in this article

Hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rdinsf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OK, now I understand that if I have an MS Word file set to online only, just clicking on the file name won't work - have to set the file to local first.

Except....Wordperfect (only used by laywers I think these days) CAN BE OPENED while set to online only just by clicking on the file name in Windows Explorer.

Why the different behavior?  

NicoleDominique28
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am getting the unspecified error. I did the make available offline and I am still unable to open any excel files from my dropbox app

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    NicoleDominique28 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    rdinsf Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?