Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Unspecified Error when opening MS files from File Explorer

New member | Level 2

New computer. Able to open online JPG and PDF files, but when I try to open any Microsoft files, I get the "Unspecified Error." (Old computer still works fine, so I know it's a Dropbox problem.)

I've already tried unlinking the device AND un/reinstalling Dropbox for Windows 10. No improvement. Help??

4 Replies

Re: Unspecified Error when opening MS files from File Explorer

Dropboxer

Hey there @ruthstory - sorry to hear you're having issues with opening your Microsoft files. 

At first, could you please let me know the status of the desktop app on the affected computer? Is it 'Up to date' or still syncing changes?

More information

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Also, could you forward me a screenshot of the error you get so I can have a better view of the matter at hand?

Last but not least, can you let me know what plan are you on and if you're using Smart Sync? 

If the latter is true and you're indeed using Smart Sync, are you noticing this for files that have been set to 'Online Only' perhaps? 

Feel free to include any additional information you think might help our investigation!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue  Smart Sync is saying that we are up to date

if i click on properties of the file and then tab through the tabs the file icon changes and I can then open the file

i have over 100000 files - this is not a solution   

Did a solution get presented

Dropboxer

I'm not really sure what's the issue here @phillevansrdb. Could you elaborate on what's not working for you providing some additional information about your setup and maybe screenshots depicting the matter at hand so I can investigate further?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Star Collaborator | Level 17

@Walter, The problem name is "magic numbers". winking face We will see how long it will take development realize that. thinking face Also, another name (sometimes) is "internal metadata". This approach is used in most modern OSes! More precisely, file browsers and other previewing tools (where this is not OS specific).

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Unspecified Error when opening MS files from File Explorer
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post