cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Unspecified error when try to open local files.

Helpful | Level 7

Cannot open local files after sync.
Cannot copy and paste files to a new folder.
(a) I have unintstalled and resintalled MS office
(b) I have uninstalled and renewed drpobox
(c) cannot open any files: including MS docs, PPT, excel, images, PDF's, Video, Audio.
(d) they are not duplicate files...how could they be? I have all the files on the dropbox cloud; then I synchronise to my PC dropbox folder.

..I have read posts from users having similar issues (as you can see I have tried several recommended fixes).

Any more suggestions?

7 Replies

Re: Unspecified error when try to open local files.

Dropboxer

Hey @mr c.1, thanks for reaching out to us about this!

As a first step, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of:

• The error message that you're seeing?
  • What the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock shows when you hover over it?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 7

Hello,
thank you for your reply.

(a) I have started the process once again..meaning that I am reinstalling Office, re-sychronising files.

(b) each time I refresh the dropbox installer I remove the addp, clear caches, clean the registry and reboot.

(c) One thing that I notice this time around = during installtion dropbox (as usual) does not allow me to set files as local due lack of space on my C://drive.
When I open the settings panel there is no option to switch to local. (The right-click option to make files local is also missing after this latest re-install).

(d) EDIT COMMENT = I forget to mention sfc scannow finds no problems.

Thus, my errors are varying with each installation attempt. (and I am remebering to set installation options for context menu)

Image #1 opening a PDF using web browser.

Image #2 hover over icon (note: I have cleared my folder and initiaited a fresh download)

Image #3 dropbox preferences are now missing option to set local

Image #4 the right click context `local' option is now missing after a new installation

Image #5 error message when opening file

2020-01-14 21_24_59-try to open a PDF in browser.pngweb browser2020-01-14 21_33_36-Hover over icon.pnghover over app icon2020-01-14 21_38_08-‪no Local option.pngmissing options in preferences settings2020-01-14 21_42_54-missing right click.pngRight click now missing after reinstalling dropbox

2020-01-14 21_54_41-open an image.pngopen an image

I am currently reinstalling office (again). After the download  I can show you the .doc/ppt error.

Hopefully these initial images will be helpful.

Helpful | Level 7

Attempting to copy a file to new directory = fails.

2020-01-14 22_16_36-1 Interrupted Action - attempt to copy file to new dir.png

Helpful | Level 7

2020-01-15 02_27_06-Word failure.pngWord

Dropboxer

Thanks for your detailed reply and screenshots, @mr c.1! I’d be more than happy to help look into each behavior you mention, so please bear with me. nerd face

Firstly, since you’ve reinstalled the desktop app, I’d recommend giving it some time to sync your Dropbox folder completely. Before we continue with this, could you confirm for me though if the location that you’ve got the Dropbox folder in is an external or an internal drive?

In regards to the .pdf preview on the website, have you tried another browser or an incognito window? How about clearing your browser’s cache and making sure that you’re not running any third party extensions or plugins?

As for the MS Word error, it could be due to a limitation of the apps that you're using to open or save the files in question because they have file paths that are too long. This generally happens if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path, starting from (for example) C:\.

Although the Dropbox desktop app can sync to and from locations that are longer than 255 characters, the apps used to open or save these files might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show errors when trying to open/save/edit.

You should be able to resolve this by simply renaming the file or folder to a shorter name, or reducing the number of sub-folders.

Finally, if you’re still having trouble with the unexpected error that you’re getting when you attempt to copy a file, I did find a few threads that troubleshoot this by searching for the error - could you let me know if you’ve tried any of those steps?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 7

Geetings, thanks for your reply. 

I am pretty much back where I began ... with Dropbox starting and then crashing. After weeks of trying every reommendation, talking with support, having eleveated support = I am pulling my hair out. 

I am still shocked that drpbox cannot handle my 500gb sync. 

Attempting download .zips manually fails. I have some mild success but nothing of signifiance and 98% of my archive is seemingly trapped on their servers. 

My whole goal is to retrieve my archive and leave dropbox. This frustration makes the anxiety to leave even greater. My account is due to reneew in 6 days I and do not want to be a part of their new plans. 
Literal days of my life lost to this problem, I am at a complete loss how the service could be so corrupted (across 3 computers I have tried) = so it is something to do with dropbox's end of things in my opinion. 

I appreciate your input and offers to help = but I am giving up. I am too tired and miserable to deal with this at the moment. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for writing back to me, @mr c.1, and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Since you mention that you're having trouble downloading content from the website to your computer, could you please clarify if it's a whole folder?

If it is, could you ensure that it is less than 20 GB and has fewer than 10,000 total files?

If you're still having trouble with this, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message?

As for the behavior that you're experiencing with the desktop app, I found your ticket and have passed your comments along to the specialized member of my team reviewing this for you. As soon as they have more info, they'll get back to you via email. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

7 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post