cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload keeps getting stuck

Upload keeps getting stuck

Wisdor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Int he past month on 6 different macs at work, Dropbox keeps getting stuck uploading files. You have to unlink dropbox, relink it, synch nothing, then synch individual folders one at a time. Its starting to be not worth it. What's going on?

Ive tried bringing work amchines home and using my home network which is very fast 100mb/s. Same problem. "uploading 24 files" and the number never changes.

Yes Ive checked network settings. Yes Ive tried restarting dropbox in every computer. yes Ive checked theres space. ALL of that!

It seems like The Dropbox desktop app is having trouble.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

apraetor
Super User alumni
Go to solution

This behavior can be expected any time a file stored in Dropbox is locked for exclusive access.

What kinds of files is it getting stuck on? I've encountered behavior similar to what you describe, when I attempted to store an Eclipse software project inside of Dropbox. Any time the project was open Eclipse would lock access to certain files; Dropbox would attempt to sync them, and get "stuck"; it wouldn't just skip over them. As soon as I closed Eclipse Dropbox would resume syncing. 

As you said, when you zipped them you were able to upload them successfully. So it sounds like you're describing a situation where the files are being locked because they're currently open.

To verify that the issue isn't something to do with filenames, you can also check here.

Mod note: edited to update link in post [last update 2022]

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Wisdor, welcome to our community! 

Does this just happen on Macs? When the sync is stuck, do you get any messages or errors? 

Are your Macs running updated versions of MacOS? Are they running the latest version of our desktop app, 42.4.114

Have a look at this article for some common issues and solutions for stuck syncing, and here for reasons that files may not sync when using a combination of Macs and Windows machines. 

Let me know how this goes. 
Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Wisdor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, Yes just Macs. All running current versions of OS. Dropbox running current version 42.4.114

I read the common issues article. There are no windows machines involved. 😞

Wisdor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ive narriowed down the issue to : it doesnt like SOME FILES.

I can't figure out what it is about these files. They have nothing in common. I took a bunch of them, images, illustrator fiels etc and zipped them into a folder. They uploaded with no problem. The larger isssue is that on encountering one of these files, Dropbox doesnt skip them it simply gets stuck and refuses to upload anything else!

apraetor
Super User alumni
Go to solution

This behavior can be expected any time a file stored in Dropbox is locked for exclusive access.

What kinds of files is it getting stuck on? I've encountered behavior similar to what you describe, when I attempted to store an Eclipse software project inside of Dropbox. Any time the project was open Eclipse would lock access to certain files; Dropbox would attempt to sync them, and get "stuck"; it wouldn't just skip over them. As soon as I closed Eclipse Dropbox would resume syncing. 

As you said, when you zipped them you were able to upload them successfully. So it sounds like you're describing a situation where the files are being locked because they're currently open.

To verify that the issue isn't something to do with filenames, you can also check here.

Mod note: edited to update link in post [last update 2022]

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @Wisdor

Thanks for getting back to me with that. When you get a chance, try the bad file check link that @apraetor provided, and let us know. 

If you’re still experiencing the issue after that, we’ll need to put you in touch with our support team for further troubleshooting. 

Cheers! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?