Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Upload limit can't seem to be lifted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I'm currently syncing 6,000 files (jpegs clocking in at about 20MB each) for a work project and should be adding about 6,000 more before the end of the week.

I noticed yesterday that my sync speed was stuck at about 600kb/s which seemed hockingly low. I looked into it and found the settings under Bandwidth to remove the upload limit and it doesn't eem to have made any difference at all. Upload speed is still hovering at 300-600kb per second.

Has anyone else had problems with this feature not taking effect? Is there a way to force it?

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Upload limit can't seem to be lifted

Dropboxer

Thanks for reporting @EHCB

Sorry to hear the bandwidth settings did not speed it up. unamused face

Can you kindly take a speedtest and let me know the version of Dropbox you are facing this issue with? 

Have you rebooted your device recently? 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona, no problem.

My speedtest came back as having an upload speed of 5.02 MB p/s

and my Dropbox verion is v.85. 4. 155 using the Proffessonal plan.

My machine was last rebooted about five onths ago I believe.

Dropboxer

5 Months. Long time! Scream Cat Rebooting helps a lot with processing updates and keeping things functional. 

Please reboot it and let me know if things start running faster for you. 

Thanks! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

While most ISPs and speed test sites display their results in bits (kilo or mega), the speeds reported by Dropbox are in Bytes. Be sure to do the conversion before comparing. Your 300-600KB/s transfer speed as reported by Dropbox is approximately 2.4-4.8Mb/s.

Also, each file that you upload is hashed, compressed, then transferred, encrypted, and stored on the Dropbox servers. That entire process is included in the aggregate KB/s speed that's displayed in the Dropbox sync status. In other words, the speed reported by Dropbox is not just a transfer speed, but the speed at which the entire process is being completed. The actual transfer speed is higher, but when you factor in the entire process, it appears lower.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona, I had a sneaking suspicion this advice was more about dissuading me from asking furthger than actually helping since rebooting my machine in the middle of a project i a pretty disruptive thing to do, I dedcided I didn't really have a choice but to take it.

So after spending half a day dealing with the fallout of that, Dropbox is now re-synced and I'm disappointed to report I'm still getting the same low upload rate.

lowspeed.png

Do I have any other options? I'm now halfway uploaded and, since I'm using online-only, pretty locked in as far as my options go for using other services :(

As a further note, is there any chance future Dropbox updates could give more ambitious estimates that "more than two days". It's been supremely unhelpful when my client' asked me how much more late these are going to be.

Super User II

@EHCB wrote:

... I'm disappointed to report I'm still getting the same low upload rate.

lowspeed.png

Please refer to my reply above. The speed reported by Dropbox in your screenshot, 597.7 KB/sec, is the equivelant of 4.7816 Mb/sec. You stated your speed test reported 5 Mb/sec (speed tests are reported in bits, not bytes). You're nearly maxing out your upload capacity.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Upload limit can't seem to be lifted
6 Replies
2 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post