Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Uploading files & folders using the Dropbox website.

New member | Level 2

I'm going through the exact same problem. All my files are mixed up and I'm not even sure what's missing! Thousands of files, I don't have the time for this!

27 Replies

Re: messed up folders, photos uploaded to wrong folder

Dropboxer
Hey @Lanashah, welcome to our community! 

What seems to be the issue? How are you uploading your files/photos?

If you’re using our Camera Uploads feature, all your photos will be uploaded to the same folder: the Camera Uploads folder. 

If you’re manually uploading, you get to choose the folder to upload to.  

Let me know when you have a chance.
Thanks!

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

No offence to Dropbox... but they don't seem to care to fix this issue. What I ended up doing was always zipping all the files, folders, etc before uploading. While Dropbox almost definately always will rearrange all our stuff when uploaded like you would think it should be able to handle... it has yet to fail for me if I compress / zip everything before hand. I would recommend using 7zip as it is free and works wonderfully with a large variety of compression types. 

I still cannot fathom why a file hosting company hasn't worked this out? Yes, I have used the desktop app, it messed them up as well.

Generic FTP type services can handle these type of file uploads, downloads, etc.

Not sure why this is glaringly broken here on the Dropbox... which I now rarely use..

Dropboxer
Hey Lanashah & RonBuan

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Dropbox Forum, I’m just stepping in here as we do indeed value your opinion & I’d like to ask you more details in regards to this request, I hope you’re doing well today! 

You may keep in mind that I’ve moved your comments from the previous discussion, as this started back to 2016 & we like to keep up with the most recent interactions. In case you’d like to refer back to it, you may have a look here

It’s my understanding that file transferring using the web platform isn’t convenient to you. Can you let me know what the preferred behavior would be to you? Any feedback you could send over would be extremely useful. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next messages here. Wishing you a great week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Re: Uploading files & folders using the Dropbox website.

FDV New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello Lanashah,

If you install the Dropbox desktop app, it will create a Dropbox folder on your computer where you'll be able to re-arrange your files, folder structure, etc. quite easily (just like any other folders and files on your computer).

When using the Dropbox website you might encounter problems related to the web browser and OS you are using.

Hope this helps!

New member | Level 2

What in the hell does this mean?

Does it means files will be placed in different, seemingly random, folders with no warning?

Why in the hell would you allow folder uploads via the web interface if this was a known issue?

Dropboxer

Hey @tdhurst, your files should end up in the directory of your choice. Are you facing an issue with your website uploads by any chance? Please do let me know here & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I just upladed a folder with lots of subfolder and files.  The transfer took quite a while but now I'm seeing that files have been placed at random in different folders.  How can this happen?   Very disappointing !!  I'm using the Dropbox web to upload from a USB drive.

Dropboxer
Hey @MikeD1, please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you. I’m wondering whether you’ve accidentally dragged & dropped the files under the wrong directory by any chance; please let me know if this is the case in your next message if possible. 

If you’re seeing misplaced content, then you could either delete it on your end or use the Move option on our website, so as to make sure your upload reaches the right audience. Additionally, you could review what has already been added on your Events pages, where you can monitor any file additions/ deletions/ edits in shared folders. 

Hopefully my hints are helpful to you, however please let me know if you have any follow-up questions or I’ve misunderstood your initial inquiry in any way. Thanks Mike!

Jane

New member | Level 2

Hi Jane

I uploaded a directory from my laptop hard drive using the upload folder option.   It was a large folder with many sub folders and about 45k files.  The transfer took about 24 hours.  The files are so mixed up that it is not possible to fix it unless I delete and reload - another 24 hours.   I have 2TB of space on Dropbox so space is not an issue.  Some sub folders have completely wrong files - seems like they were taken randomly from other directories.   This leaves me with little faith in Dropbox and if I decide to cancel and move to another provider, I trust that I can get a full refund ??

Mike
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Uploading files & folders using the Dropbox website.
27 Replies
18 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post