Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Uploading large nr of files, does dropbox check if they are already existing?

Explorer | Level 4

I'm trying to upload large nr of video files, which takes 2/3 days according to the dropbox upload overview window. However, if the upload gets interrupted or something (the laptop is low in battery or the internet gets interrupted, etc), I have to start over again. When I start the upload again, dropbox doesn't seem to check which files are already existing/present and which are not. It simply overrights all files and the uplaod takes the same amount of time (2/3 days). The file names are number-sequences, so it impossible to check which files are present and which are not manually. As a consequence I have to start over again and again, and I haven't managed to upload my video files until now. What can I do?

3 Replies

Re: Uploading large nr of files, does dropbox check if they are already existing?

Super User II
First off it sounds like you are using the website. If so then what you are seeing is correct - it is a 'dumb' upload type system. It will just upload exactly what its told to do as it has no idea at all if they've already been uploaded, or, if they've been changed.

You would be much better downloading and installing the software on to your machine (www.dropbox.com/download) and then put everything in the folder you want it uploaded to. It will then upload in the background and upload will recommence from where it stopped if it was interrupted (to the nearest 4mb).

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Uploading large nr of files, does dropbox check if they are already existing?

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you so much for the advice - you were right, I was using the website. It makes sense to use the dropbox software on my machine. My challenge is that I want to use dropbox as my storage device for all my old photos and videos. I've recently bought a new laptop. All my old photos and videos are still located on my old machine and my new laptop doesn't have the same amount of storage space. So dropbox shouldn't sync it with my new laptop, which also has the dropbox software. How can I first upload all the files through my old machine through the dropbox software, and then avoid those files to be synced with my new one? 

Super User II
1) Install Dropbox on the old machine.
2) Put everything in to a folder you do not want to sync on to the new machine (or multiple if you want)
3) Move everything in to that directory
4) Install Dropbox on new machine
5) Use Selective Sync to stop that chosen directory from syncing to the new machine - it will be website only via https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Note as you've already started uploading stuff to Dropbox you *will* find it starts downloading to the old machine again.

So a work around to that is create a new directory on your old machine called say 'Uploads' and just use that as a container to upload stuff by removing the directories you've already uploaded stuff to from the old machine as per Selective Sync (as above).

Once its uploaded from the old machine to that 'Uploads' folder use the website to move it to the other folder that already had stuff in.

That will mean it is uploaded and in the folders you want which are not on either machine slightly smiling face

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Uploading large nr of files, does dropbox check if they are already existing?
3 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post