Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

Upper + Lower case and Sync

Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

One of our clients has a folder that, on several computers (which have had the dropbox app on them since their initial purchase), is listed as Clients_R-Z

A newly set up computer has had Dropbox added to it, and the same folder is listed as clients_r-z on their end.

I've looked in the online version, and it appears that the file is named clients_r-z.

I've looked through the Activity records and, since the folder's contents are being used very often, it's hard to find any entry saying that the file name has been changed at any point to the lower case characters.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible for me to initiate a search in the Activity section of Dropbox Online for exclusively changes that have been made to the folder in question and not it's contents?

2. If I change the name in Online to Clients_R-Z, will that initiate an Index or Sync on everyone's computers? The clients internet is slow, as are their computers (unfortunately), and for something as small as an aesthetic gripe, it wouldn't be worth tanking their internet/computers to fix.

Thanks!

3 Replies

Re: Upper + Lower case and Sync

Dropboxer

Hello @ChristopherBell!

So nice to receive a thread from a new Dropbox Community member! nerd face Welcome!

When you rename a shared folder, the change only reflects in your Dropbox. Limiting a rename to your Dropbox helps avoid confusion for the other members of the shared folder. 

Trick for the rename to work for all: Unshare, rename, reshare! winking face White check mark

Dropbox Business Advanced Teams can search for the specific action "rename" and for a specific folder. Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 9.22.54 AM - Display 2 (edited-Pixlr).jpg

If you are the Admin of an Advanced Business team, you will be able to easily search for all types of activity. 

Let me know if this was helpful and if you have any questions. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Fiona,

Sorry, it seems I have not given you adequate information.

The folder is not shared, it is within a Team Folder.

Thank you for the advice on the search function, I did not realise I could search for a file rename, as typically Dropbox treats file/folder renames as a "delete" and then "add", from past experience.

I find it odd that when I search for file or folder renames in their activity log from Jan 2018 to today, nothing comes up at all, but I suppose it's not improbable that they never actually rename anything.

Anyway, to reiterate, I want to know if it's possible to see, through the activity log or otherwise, any changes that have occurred to a specific folder, but not it's subfiles/folders. Kind of like how you can see version history for files, but not for folders themselves.

My other question still stands, too. If I rename the folder from clients_r-z to Clients_R-Z, will it initiate an index/sync for just the folder itself? Or all it's subfiles/folders as well?

Thanks for your time.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me about this. 

You correctly mentioned that Dropbox events reported renames as deletions from one name and addition to the new name. When you rename a folder that contains subfolders and files, the path that the desktop application is following to find and open the folder and all it contains has to change. So syncing for all the things included in the renamed folder. 

If things do not come up in the activity tab, please try clearing your browsers cache, remove any plugins and restore your browser to its default settings.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions!  

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Upper + Lower case and Sync
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post