cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using RoboCopy or xCopy to Move Files between folders

Using RoboCopy or xCopy to Move Files between folders

shergenr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a 1400 files in a single folder on dropbox, called reports.  There are roughly 4 report types.  The report types are named in a way that I can't simply sort the folder alphabetically and grab the groups and copy/paste them to each report groups folder.  So, I have been trying  to use a batch file in windows to move each of the files to a new folder on desktop (not switching accounts or anything).  Nothing I've tried seems to work - my question is :  Is it even possible to use windows utility like xCopy or robocopy or shell commands to accomplish what I want to do?  Or is it not possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shergenr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I appreciate the reply and desire to help.  I figured out what I was doing wrong.

In anycase, if the files one is desiring to move/copy are on the desktop, the OS tools can handle the mass move.  You are correct.  I used robocopy to move the files to the desired folders.   I didn't realize that my original robocopy commands were formulated incorrectly.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @shergenr - welcome to our Community!

At first, I'm wondering why you'd need to do this instead of simply copying or moving your files directly to your Dropbox folder (it's merely another folder on your device after all; only with syncing capabilities); could you elaborate on what you'd like to accomplish eventually?

Assuming that you have the desktop app installed on the mentioned device, this should be fairly easy to achieve by copying/moving those files inside your Dropbox folder using your computer's OS functions. 

Let me know if I'm missing something here please. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

shergenr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I appreciate the reply and desire to help.  I figured out what I was doing wrong.

In anycase, if the files one is desiring to move/copy are on the desktop, the OS tools can handle the mass move.  You are correct.  I used robocopy to move the files to the desired folders.   I didn't realize that my original robocopy commands were formulated incorrectly.  

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Oh, that makes sense; thanks for the update @shergenr !

Let me know if you have any questions moving forward and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for using Dropbox :gear:

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    shergenr New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?