Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Using a non-synced DB folder as my Time Machine backup destination

Explorer | Level 3

Hi!  I've read through all the posts with "Time Machine" in them here in the Help Forums and I still haven't seen this specific question answered.

Is anyone using an unsynced cloud DB folder as the destination for a Time Machine back up?  I recognize that I will want to exclude my local DB folder from the Time Machine backup.  

If anywhere here is doing it or has done this (using the unsynced cloud DB folder as the destination and excluding the local DB folder from the backup) let me know.  I am not using DB as a backup service, I'm using Time Machine as the backup service.  I'm using an unsynced cloud DB folder as the destination for the Time Machine-created back up file.

3 Replies

Re: Using a non-synced DB folder as my Time Machine backup destination

Dropboxer

Hi @tko1908, thanks for going through other Community threads about this. 

All the Community threads regarding Time machine, I was able to find with a quick search, are from users actively syncing the two apps. 

Since you mention that the Dropbox folder is unsynced. I understand it is not linked to a Dropbox desktop app ( you have unlinked or uninstalled Dropbox completely). Without the app syncing, the Dropbox folder is a simple folder in your computer. You should be able to upload to your Time machine as back up. 

Just follow the steps to back up Dropbox to your Time Machine like you would with any other folder. 

Hope this helps. Happy Friday! grinning face with smiling eyes

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Ah it appears I'm asking the wrong question!  And I believe I really need to find someone who has done or is doing this.   But moreso:

I'd like to use a Selective Synced DB folder in the cloud (not synced with my local drive) as the destination for my Time Machine back ups.  I recognize I will want to excluse my local DB folder (which is synced) from the Time Machine back up.  

So I go into Time Machine preferences and choose Add Backup Disk.  How do I get Time Machine to look for what is essentially an online folder for it's destination?  

Dropboxer

If the folder is not locally/removed by Selective sync, Time machine won't even see it. 

On the other hand, even if the folder was synced locally and Time machine could see it, syncing the two is not supported, as discussed in the previous threads I offered. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful with this. Hope I see you in another thread! slightly smiling face

Have a nice weekend! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Using a non-synced DB folder as my Time Machine backup destination
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post