cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using hyperlinks in Excel to connect to files uploaded in dropbox

Using hyperlinks in Excel to connect to files uploaded in dropbox

GRRWendy
New member | Level 2

Wondering if there is a way to create a spreadsheet, with hyperlinks to specific files that are uploaded on dropbox.  (hyperlink was created by going into dropbox, displaying specific file, copying address and creating hyperlink in spreadsheet).  Files do not reside on my computer - only on dropbox.  The specific people who receive the Excel file already have access to (files shared) said files on dropbox.

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @GRRWendy,

Currently there isn’t a way to do this automatically, you would need to create the Excel file and then enter the hyperlinks into the file manually.

From what I understood you are copying the URL address into the Excel file, correct? That will work fine since the people who will be accessing the files already have the files shared with them. I just wanted to mention that you could also use shared links as the hyperlinks if you need to share anything with view only access (providing the file isn’t already shared with edit permissions for the recipients).

Hope this helps to clarify the matter - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

GRRWendy
New member | Level 2

Hey Daphne, I'm not sure I understand - I DID create an excel file and I DID insert hyperlinks to the displayed page in dropbox... I emailed the spreadsheet to the people who needed to access said hyperlinks but they were unable to access the files directly - the link took them to dropbox sign in page.  The goal of this is to, in one spreadsheet, with 40 categories (columns) and varying documents for each of 35 applicants, all at varying stages of completion - to see/access the files that have been submitted - so in addition to making it easier to access the files, the spreadsheet gives us information on where everyone is in the process... so I'm trying to do more than "just share files" - hope this helps explain how it is that I'm trying to use dropbox and why 🙂

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that clarification there, it seems that I didn’t fully understand there!

So, in this case I would recommend creating a shared link instead of adding the URL hyperlink into the Excel file. If those who are trying to access the file are not signed into a Dropbox account or don’t have the file actually shared with them, then a shared link will allow them view access to the files.

If you are using just the URL of the file as the hyperlink, since this is pointing towards a file within your account, the hyperlink can only be used to access the file when signed into your Dropbox account. Using shared links will eliminate this issue.

Let me know if this clears thing up a bit  - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    GRRWendy New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?