Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Very slow/limited movement of files in Web application

Explorer | Level 3

We run a Windows laptop. I am accessing my Dropbox files & folders through the WEB application.

We have thousands of photos that have been uploaded from camera & iPhones during our recent holiday which are now sitting in the Camera Upload folder. Becasue there are so many files I have now created a number of new Folders (for example August 2019 / September 2019 etc) and have started to shift/move the photos into the relevant Folder.

Unfortunately even if i select less than 100 photos the movement from Camera Upload to September 2019 is VERY SLOW and always INCOMPLETE.

For some reason even though the files are "in the cloud" and therefore should be almost instantly moved there is a long delay and then the file movemwent just stops, with some selected files still not transferred.

1) Why is it so SLOW ? &

2) more importantly, why is the transfer always INCOMPLETE, requiring the user to re-start the move process again? Is there a limit on the number of files that can be selected to move?

Very frustrating and enough of an issue to look at other applications unless it can be fixed.

Regards

Scott

6 Replies

Re: Very slow/limited movement of files in Web application

Dropboxer

Hey there @Oldboy61 - welcome to our Community!

At first, from what I understand, you're doing these move actions through our website on a web browser - right?

If that's the case indeed, could you clear your browser' cache and try again?

If that didn't help, please try an incognito window or even a completely other browser.

Keep me posted on the results Scott!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3
Hello Walter. I can try your suggestions for sure. Can you explain to me how this might work given that the actual movements are on your servers and thus should not be impacted by the commands sent from my browser? Just interested to understand. 
Thanks for your quick reply. 
Regards
Scott

Explorer | Level 3
Walter,
Have tried Edge and Firefox both in Private mode as well. 
No difference in how the system reacts. 
The ‘limit” for successful MOVE from folder to folder is somewhere around 100-130 but it is not consistent. 

Look forward to your further comments. 

Dropboxer

Why not use the desktop app and perform those move actions within your Dropbox Folder directly then Scott?

I'm only mentioning this as this would be a more efficient way to achieve the task at hand as the move operation would be performed by your computer's OS.

For your information now, note that every move of a file or folder is logged as a deletion from the original place and an addition to the new place (you're moving those files into); therefore you might notice a slight delay when performing such actions on a large number of files. You can also verify this on your end if you take a look at your account's events page at: https://www.dropbox.com/events 

In addition, you haven't clarified if you tried this after clearing your browsers' cache as well; could you give it a go and let me know the results?

As a side note, I'm on Chrome's latest stable build and I haven't noticed anything similar to what you describe - could you try it out there too if you have it installed on your computer? Do you get the same results?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter,

Re cache - i cleared the cache (130mb) from Firefox then selected 300 photos to move from one folder to another. After a while the file moving finished but had 187 files left - meaning only 113 got transferred successfully. So it would appear that clearing cache had no positive effect on the number of files i can transfer in one step. Hence there is still some limiting factor on how many can be transferred in a batch.

I can load and try Chrome but surely Dropbox would not be limited to working well with just one browser (Chrome)?

Regarding your suggestion to use the Desktop app. The photo files I have uploaded to Dropbox are for storage purposes and hence they are NOT synchronised to my laptop (there are simply too many files to do that). Therefore, unless i am missing something, the files & folders i want to manipulate are not visible in the Desktop app - because they are not present on my laptop. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Scott

Dropboxer

Ah, so you have them selectively unsynced from your computer - right Scott?

Now, as I wasn't able to reproduce this on my end, may I reach out to your Dropbox associated email address so we can investigate further?

Also, can you confirm you're using the most recent version of your web browser as Dropbox works best on the 2 most recent versions of our supported browsers?

Thanks again for your patience and cooperation.

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Very slow/limited movement of files in Web application
6 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post