Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Video file not uploading

Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to upload an high def file from a drone that is (only) 6 minutes long.  It keeps freezing in the process.  I am a commercial user and my client deserves to be a little dissapointed in my ability to get a file to him.  Are there limitations on MP4, files for DJI or other that is getting in my way.  (The file plays fine on my PC and can be imported in Adobe Premier Pro and has uploaded fine to YouTube)

6 Replies

Re: Video file not uploading

Dropboxer
Hey there @Cincycosmo,

I don’t believe you should be running into issues due to the file type. However, can you please clarify for me how you are uploading this file into your account, via the web or the desktop app?

Also, can you clarify for me a little further when you mentioned that the process freezes, do you then receive any error messages? If so, would you mind sending along a screenshot of this (excluding any personal info).

Looking forward to hearing from you - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, so here is what was happening.  I was originally uploading using the app in Windows 10.  The file was a 6 minute video taken from a DJI Phantom 4 Pro and due to my desire to deliver the highest resolution was quite large (nearly 4 Gig).   I did not hit any limitations on Dropbox, but, was taking far longer than I anticipated.

My fix was to run the video through Adobe Premier Pro and drop the resolution which reduced the file size by a factor of 8.

Furthermore, last night, I changed my upload method to using the web (which has a status indicator) and then it got done.   

I would have liked to have the customer have the full resolution file, which is stunning, but have to reduce it down to a more online friendly size. 

A status in the Windows 10 app might have helped me realize the source of my problem, but, it really comes down to uploading large files requires using the web interface, I think.

Super User

Typically there should not be any problems with size of your file as long as you have enough storage in your Dropbox account (ie storage slightly more than 4 Gb, since you're trying to upload 4Gb file).

You mentioned that you reduced the size and were able to upload it eventually. However you still prefer to upload original 4 gig file. 

Here is the method to upload the original large file by splitting it into smaller sized parts. Your customer will be able to download each part and combine them into one solid large file.

Recommended software is 7zip (https://www.7-zip.org/7z.html). Instructions to split your file (I use Windows, but it should be similar for Mac and Linux):

1) Install 7zip from site above. It is super small and completely free both for home and commercial use.

2) Select your file and right click.

3) Choose "7-zip" from menu.

4) Select "Add to archive"

5) New window will open with archiving options.

6) There you'll see the option for splitting your file "Split to volumes, bytes"

7) Select your preferred size for parts (eg: 1Gb per part)

smiling face with sunglasses Press OK and 7-zip will split your file into parts.

9) Upload each part to Dropbox, your customer will be able to join all parts and get 4Gb file using the same 7-zip software.

Hope it helps.

Note: There are bunch of different ways/software to split the file (eg: WinZip, WinRAR, old school command line, etc).

Dropboxer
Just to add to the great suggestion from @behzod, you can also alter the settings of the desktop app so that upload speed isn’t limited. This might be useful for you when uploading large files like your videos through the desktop app in the future, and you can change this setting as and when you need to.

Have a great day peeps - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Good call Daphne on the preferences.  Didn't know that upload speed could be limited and yet it was!  I need to try it all again as soon as I get a chance tomorrow!

Thanks for the great suggestions Daphne and Behzod!!

Dropboxer
My pleasure @Cincycosmo!

Feel free to ping us here if you have any other questions about this - Thanks!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Video file not uploading
6 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post