Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

What can I do to improve my syncing speed from my desktop?

Explorer | Level 3

My upload speed can not go higher than 1500kb/s even though my ISP speed test shows capability of 10mb/s . My upload bandwidth within dropbox is set to unlimited. I am hardwired into modem. Why the slow uplaod speeds?Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 11.21.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-22 at 11.21.01 PM.png

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Slow Upload Sync Speed

Dropboxer
Hey there (@tricknowledge), following your comment here, I ran a search on my end on our system & I’ve located your open support request with my colleague there. I’ve included a note of your comments here on your ongoing correspondence, so as to have all relevant info on the same email chain. Please include any follow-up inquiries you may have there, as they have direct access to your account details on our tools & they can further address your syncing-related concern in a bit more depth.

In any event, I remain at your entire disposal should you have more questions or you’d like to share your thoughts. Thanks in advance for all the time you’re devoting to discuss this with our team! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

how has this been solved? I've been looking through all of the upload problem threads and i dont see any solution? just the same exact response copy and pasted

Explorer | Level 3
No not resolved! Spectrum blames Dropbox and Dropbox blames Spectrum (isp) Someone is throttling for sure!

Re: What can I do to improve my syncing speed from my desktop?

Super User II

@tricknowledge wrote:

My upload speed can not go higher than 1500kb/s even though my ISP speed test shows capability of 10mb/s .

You can't directly compare your Dropbox upload speed to your Speedtest speeds without doing some math first.

While most ISPs and speed test sites display their results in bits (kilo or mega), the speeds reported by Dropbox are in bytes. You need to do the conversion before comparing. The 1535KB/s transfer speed seen in your screenshot above is approximately 12.3Mb/s, or faster than the upload speed seen in your Speedtest.

Also, each file that you upload is hashed and compressed, then transferred, encrypted, and stored on the Dropbox servers. That entire process is included in the aggregate KB/s speed that's displayed in the Dropbox sync status. In other words, it's not just a transfer speed and can't be directly compared to the upload and download speeds provided by your ISP.

In short, your Dropbox uploads are not being throttled.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

What can I do to improve my syncing speed from my desktop?
4 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post