Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

What happens to personal files if removed from Business Standard group

New member | Level 2

I previously had a Dropbox Plus account for personal use. Then a group I am a member of upgraded to Business Standard. I, unknowingly, had them use the same email address I used for my personal dropbox account. This caused my Plus account to end, refunding me the unused portion of my annual fee, which is great, but now I am concerned about 2 things:

1- what will happen to my personal files if I am ever removed from the group? Will I have an opportunity to re-subscribe to Plus and have that data transferred there?

2- are my personal files in the Business account, which I do not specifically share with anyone in the group, really private? Or does the admin have access to those?

Thank you!

3 Replies

Re: What happens to personal files if removed from Business Standard group

Dropboxer
Hi there @sb99,

When admins are removing members from a Dropbox Business team, they will have two options:

1. Remove and convert user to Dropbox Basic account.
  2. Remove user and delete account, with the option to transfer their files to another team member.

Converting back to a personal account will let you keep all your personal files in your account under the same email address, so you will simply be able to upgrade back to Plus afterwards.  However, the second option would result in the account being deleted and you would no longer have access to this. 

What I could recommend would be to create a new account for personal use which you can then link to your Business account (just so that you can switch between the two, they’re still separate). Otherwise, you can request the admin to remove you from the team without deleting the account.

For your second point, if you have unshared files in your account, these files will not be visible to anyone else in the team including the Admins. On the Dropbox Business Standard plan the admins do not have the option to “Sign in as user” so have no way to access your unshared files apart from manually signing into the account (if you have given them your login credentials essentially).

Hope this helps to clarify the matter, please let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Thank you Daphne. That helps a lot.

One follow-up: If I ask the business account admin to follow step 1 above and my personal files exceed the storage limit of a basic account, will files potentially be lost? Or will I be given an option to upgrade immediately so that all my files will stay with my personal account?

Unfortunately I did use my personal email account for this business group and now I would like to fix that by joining the group with a different email address, so your recommended solution, although simpler, won't quite work for me.

Dropboxer
Hey @sb99, I’m glad to hear that!

So if the admin were to follow the first option of converting back to a Dropbox Basic account, if you are over the space limit none of your files will be deleted. All that would happen is that syncing would pause and you wouldn’t be able to upload new content until you have free space in your account.

You will still have full access to the files in your account (viewing/downloading etc), and you will be able to simply upgrade to Plus from our plans page.

Finally, I can suggest that you change the email address on the current account (Business) to the email address you want to be associated with it. In doing this, you will free up your personal email to then open a new account under it.

Let me know how it goes should you try this - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

What happens to personal files if removed from Business Standard group
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post