Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

What recovery options would we have if data is deleted from our company's account?

New member | Level 2

Hi All. Looking at disaster recovery protocols for our company. Hopefully will never need to use it, but just in case....
If a member of staff either by accident or malicious intent, deleted all company folders and files in Dropbox, can the full contents be recovered and any idea how quickly it could all be restored? I've seen a lot of info on individual file recovery, but not the whole contents.
Thanks.

Tags (1)
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Account Recovery

Super User II

The key thing here is how they deleted everything...

Delete the whole account (as in Business Account as an admin) or permanently delete data as owner/admin etc. then no, its lost.

Delete it as an individual user within an account and it can be recovered UNLESS they permanenetly delete things.

You can rollback accounts and data to a point in time (within the terms of your account restore period) as though the deletions never happened - with exceptions above.

BUT what I would strongly say is Dropbox is not, and should not, be classed as a back up system. It isnt. Its a synincg one. Dont rely on it to do the two jobs on its own. It does back up as a by product - and does it quite well, but, belt and braces approach means add in other things also.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

Si es posible recuperarlo si eres el adminisrador de la carpeta.

Dropboxer

Hey peeps!

I just wanted to add a little something here which hasn't been mentioned yet. As an admin on a Business account you could prevent members from being able to permanently delete files by turning off the option within the Settings page. The steps to do this is outlined in our Help Center article here.

Also, for simple deletion events you should be able to easily restore the files from your Deleted files page, providing that they were deleted within your version history window. This will be processed then and there through the website for you and you will be able to see the progress of it, similarly to seeing the progress of an upload etc. Otherwise, for larger or more complicated restorations, our Support team can assist you with this and the response time would depend on your plan

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

What recovery options would we have if data is deleted from our company's account?
3 Replies
0 Likes