cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with conflicted copies?

What to do with conflicted copies?

Åke E.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Our office has two desktop computers. Both of them access the same Dropbox. No mobile devices or other computers are involved.

In the Dropbox there is a database.

The database is _never_ used from both computers simultaneously.

The idea by our arrangement is that two different people should be able to edit the database on different computers. We were assuming that changes made from one computer would appear when the file was opened on the other one.

But we are getting "conflicted copies".

Now we are all confused because we don't know which of the files contains the most recent changes. That's the file we want.

We are also confused because "conflicted copies" should not appear unless two people worked on the database at the same time. So why does this happen?

23 Replies 23

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You cant create a log file I'm afraid Helen - no such feature exists.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Peter G.26
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a similar environment. Before I start using a file I IM other machine that filename is "in use". When I close filename I IM other machine that file is "not in use".  We each must confirm that DB has synched before we use and make sure that we each use this protocol.

HebrewDoc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I apologize. My suggestion works for some MS programs (i.e., Word), but not Databases.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It should in theory work for a database as well - as long as everything has uploaded and downloaded to another machine before being used, however, the difference between Office files and databases is its a lot LOT harder to fix if a database becomes corrupted compared to a Office file!

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

wbC
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Helen

sorry for the late answer...

When opening the database you need some VBA code putting a pdf file on the dropbox with your username and time... then the database is "blocked" while you use it.

This needs of course also other VBA code, cause it doesnt work if the data tables are staticly bind into your program database. So:

1) Program Database opens with no bind data tables

2) VBA checks if the logfile exists (if yes it gives a message that another user uses the DBA and closes the database) if no:

3) VBA creates the pdf log file to prevent other users from opening the database

4) the data-tables are now linked into your program database

5) When you log out the data-table are revoked and the pdf is killed (so nobody has the data on his computer - its only there while connected to the dropbox). For statistics etc., I create a snapshot database locally for users who need that.

Although we migrate on a big server for the areas that have good internet connection - the dropbox solution still works very good in remote areas of this world (which is the reason i programmed it).

Greetings

Walter

wbC
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
of course you can ... do it yourself with VBA code...

Brandon D.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We turn OFF auto save on office programs

niwatnoiwan123
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Accept as Solution

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Brandon D. wrote:

We turn OFF auto save on office programs

It's not just the auto-save in Office that does it. Simply opening a file in Office will modify it. When you open Office files, Office records information like the last person to open the file, or in the case of Excel, the selected cell, etc., and stores that within the file itself. This alone is enough to modify the file. You don't see it as modified because Office then changes the Last modified date back to what it was originally (assuming you didn't make any other changes). So while you haven't modified the file, Office has, and Dropbox sees this change and syncs the file.

M_A_S
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Could you share the vba code. It will benefit many of us who use database with dropbox. I use ms access database file and store on dropbox. Though I use it from single pc and no one else uses this file and there is no reason clear to me to make conflicted copy, still I have conflicted copies periodically, may be I am careless about switching off the pc without waiting to complete the sync and without closing the database file.

And always I find that conflicted copy contains most recent updates. But if I don't come to know that a conflicted copy is created, I continue to use the original file that has no currently entered data. To know that a conflicted copy is created at earliest, I put some code in main forms' 'current' event that flashes a message if the folder contains any file that has 'conflicted' in its name, when I goto another record. I start using conflicted copy and discard original one as conflicted one has uptodate data.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    jmillanq Explorer | Level 3
    Helen1947 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    M_A_S New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?