cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to replace Dropbox Public folder with?

What to replace Dropbox Public folder with?

Michael C.26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The Public folder was the only feature of Dropbox I use.  Now that is gone what are people replacing it with?   Any suggestions?   I've canceled my Dropbox account, but am not sure how I'm going to replace that functionality with another service.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you want to send the link via email, well, yes. If you just want to post the file to a public forum or other such location, then all you need is the link.

It's shared folders that require an email address (and the recipient to have a Dropbox account). Share links do not.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Any web host will work. And remember, the Share Links in Dropbox still allow you to create links to your files and use them just as you would have with the Public folder.

Michael C.26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
How? As far as I can tell you have to know the email address of the person you wish to share the file with?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you want to send the link via email, well, yes. If you just want to post the file to a public forum or other such location, then all you need is the link.

It's shared folders that require an email address (and the recipient to have a Dropbox account). Share links do not.

kokreate
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Issue I have is the you used to be able to host small html5 banners that link to referenced folders or assets, just how you would view from a local host folder...

Now every asset is broken link, even when you (silly workaround attempt) you make "anyone with a link" setting on every file and folder it requres

I know Dropbox is trying to push creativity / productivity - but this was the one USP i really liked from DB - and I stil have no real alternate that has a sync local folder access

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @kokreate, could you please clarify if you’re referring to previewing .html files in your Dropbox account via the website? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kikreate
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Yes, it was really useful for sharing banners, signatures and mini sites with clients for quick feedback/turnaround. Now there are several steps, which are not really proof or elegant, e.g download a zip, hope they click on correct file to see a local preview, and don't remove/move/rename a dependency. Time wasted

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for sharing you’re thoughts on this, @Kikreate

I can pass your comments along to the dev team regarding this functionality, so if you have any other feedback for us in the meantime, don’t hesitate to get back to us. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ikomrad
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Where is the share link option? I uploaded an image to the Public folder and clicked on the "share" button. 

Screenshot of my options. 

AE8B7B38-FBE0-40E7-8045-C988917B8950.jpeg

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ikomrad, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

You'll have to click on the Share button that's next to the little arrow you're clicking on to share the file. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    ikomrad Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?