cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync not available on Ubuntu Linux

When will Smart Sync work on linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Smart Sync would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

179 Replies 179

Ferenc F.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yeah seems like.

Although I am pretty sure they aren't using windows server or mac servers nor any server which is not Linux Kernel based so they are sucks to not support the very system they are relying on.

Also it is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT as @Hypersphere  said it right:

Nevertheless, I do agree that if a given application, such as Dropbox, is going to claim cross-platform support for Linux, MacOS, and Windows, ideally the application ought to have the same features across all supported platforms.

espenore
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Again I see that a message is marked as solved, but it is not. It just points to the old selective folder setup where you do not see the files you have not synced. This is *not* solved.

fcupellini
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I just read the email about the "upgrade" (paid) we are getting.

While it's nice to get 2TB instead of one I can't understand why Smart Sync is not available on Ubuntu Linux, since I'm paying the exact same amount of customers with Mac or Windows.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @fcupellini, kindly note that I moved your post under this thread, just so as to gather all the relevant feedback under a single conversation if that’s okay with you. 

Please note that this isn’t an available functionality at the moment, however I appreciate the time you took to detail us your interest & I’ve already made sure to add your voice to the feedback gathered internally, as your thoughts help us better understand your needs. That said, I've also made a brief note of your comments here on your existing ticket through our Offiicial Support channel, so you could further enquire on this matter on your ongoing discussion. 

Thanks for taking the time to drop us a line on our Community; please don't hesitate to reach back out here at any time if you have more questions or thoughts!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Vlad-Mihai
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Please provide smart sync support for Linux. Nowadays there are Linux alternatives for peer-to-peer file synchronization (some even open-source) and although I prefer to pay for a service, will not do it the moment the free alternative has more features than the paid one (and no, the 2 TB forced upgrade to the paid plan is not a new feature)...

Not to mention the page https://www.dropbox.com/individual/plans-comparison does not have any mention that SmartSync is available only for some platforms.

zalloy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'd also like to chime in here. Having the Smart Sync functionality available for Linux would be awesome. It would save me a lot of time and hassles, as well as save me some drive space by being able to better control what gets synced. I have multiple devices and systems, so this would be a blessing. Please, for the love of all that's holy, make this feature available for Linux. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
👋 Hi again to everyone following this discussion! Just because we take your feedback seriously, I’ve moved your comment to the Share an Idea section, so as to give it a small push, as other users may be interested in the same functionality & they could also upvote :ballot_box_with_ballot: this request. 

Thanks again for choosing Dropbox & I'm always here in case you'd like to share your thoughts or observations! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

mechP
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The absence of this feature for a platform is not justifiable. We choose a paid plan of Dropbox because Dropbox serves all Operating system equally with a seamless synchronization but not getting a flagship feature on an OS like Linux whose userbase is a large student community is a failure of Dropbox core management which are taking these silly decisions.

This feature request should be escalated at the earliest to keep the culture of Dropbox intact!!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mechP, while I’ve now made sure to put this request to the attention of our Community manager internally in form of a question, it would definitely be helpful if you pinched this Upvote (👍) button, in order to give the thread a bit more visibility! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

charnik
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey @Jane certainly is helpfull to upvote this topic but what really matters me is  that i already have voted with my money and chose  Dropbox for the cross- platform compatibility. My subscription ends next year and i will vote again and i really hope dropbox product help me make my decision easy...

Need more support?