Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Where is the setting for the delete from local machine and Dropbox notifcation?

Explorer | Level 4

When deleting a file, a popup asked me, do I want to delete it just from the PC or Dropbox also.

I checked the never ask me again box.

Where is the setting to enable that notification again?

Tags (1)
10 Replies

Re: Where is the setting for the delete from local machine and Dropbox notifcation?

Super User II
Sadly I do not believe there is.

Which version of Dropbox are you using? I suggest finding the appropriate thread over at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000 and asking for it there - its the one the developers follow

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Where is the setting for the delete from local machine and Dropbox notifcation?

Explorer | Level 4

v52.4.60.

Okay, I'll do that now. Thanks.

Helpful | Level 6

This is horrible. They've essentially broken any non-CLI Dropbox install.

Up until yesterday, since 2008, I could programatically delete and move any Dropbox file via shell script. Now I can't move or delete any Dropbox file unless I can confirm the deletion via UI?

I'm sorry but someone should be fired for this.

Super User II
All you need to do though is tick the 'dont show this again' box and it never appears again.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 6

That's the problem. I check the checkbox but it'll keep asking.

Next time it happens, I'll make a video of me closing consecutive dialog boxes checking "dont show this again' on each one but the confirmation boxes keeps coming back on all 3 of my Macs.

Highlighted

Super User II
Once you can get that please make sure you log it as a ticket benmar: www.dropbox.com/support

You can then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Dropboxer

@benmar wrote:

That's the problem. I check the checkbox but it'll keep asking.

Next time it happens, I'll make a video of me closing consecutive dialog boxes checking "dont show this again' on each one but the confirmation boxes keeps coming back on all 3 of my Macs.

Hey!

When I asked the team about this, they shared two things with me:

- There's a bug where checking the "Don't show again" checkbox doesn't save your setting if you click "Cancel" instead of "Delete everywhere".

- There are a couple different warnings, one for deleting from a private space, one for deleting from a shared space, and one for moving from a shared space. Since they're all different warnings, clicking the "Don't show again" for one won't apply to the others.

If you get the same dialog box every time after checking "Don't show again" and then "Delete everywhere" (or whatever the "Ok" button says), please let us know.

Best,

Samer

P.S. Thanks for being so helpful to folks, @Mark!

Helpful | Level 6

Samer, many thanks to you and @Mark. I appreicate you guys investigating this issue.

1. I'll check to make sure I'm clicking Delete everywhere instead of cancel next time. 
  2. I'll also be sure to check that I'm not seeing the three slightly different warnings you listed.

Dropboxer

Hey!

I just got some additional clarification from the team that owns this feature:

- There's another bug that caused a small lag between when you select the "Don't show again" checkbox and when we stop showing future dialogs. This is probably why you saw multiple duplicate dialog boxes. The team is working on a fix for it. For now, the workaround is to check "Don't show again" for all the dialogs that come up, even if they're the same, and the setting should be applied after a short amount of time.

- After thinking about whether pressing "Cancel" should apply the "Don't show again" checkbox, the team decided against it because they don't want to confuse people by updating their settings when they click "Cancel". If you have any feedback about that, let me know and I'll forward it on to them.

Thanks again for the feedback, and thanks for using Dropbox!

Best,

Samer

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Where is the setting for the delete from local machine and Dropbox notifcation?
10 Replies
9 Likes
Solved! : See solution