cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Which File Version Is Kept After Computer Recovery

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Guys (Merry Christmas), i wonder if somebody can clarify what woud happen here... If my computer were to break, i have my hard drive cloned, this may be several months old, so when i swap hard drives in my computer and boot up, it will obviously look to sync with dropbox, but which file versions are kept, will dropbox look at the older versions of the file and just keep the new ones aready in my dropbox folder, or will it replace my newest files with the older versions from my cloned hard drive... or something else?

Thanks in advance guys... slightly smiling face

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Which File Version Is Kept After Computer Recovery

Dropboxer
Hey @sturnerdolphin, merry Christmas 🎄; I hope you’ve spent a relaxed holiday so far!

If the files in your closed drive are slightly outdated, during the relink the app should compare the two versions & ensure you sync the latest one. If you’ve been editing the files locally & stored them on the Dropbox folder on the cloned drive you reconnect, these may be treated as additions if you haven't connected for a few months.

If I may further advise on this matter, I’d suggest syncing to your second drive regularly or storing a copy of the most updated version of your Dropbox files. 

I hope that this is answer you were seeking; please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Excellent, so my outdated files on my cloned drive would assumingly be over-written by the more up-to-date version in my dropbox folder, ps, if for whatever reason the old ones were used, am i correct that dropboc keeps different versions anyway for a short period, so if after i restored my computer and dropbox did use an older version of a file, i can get the most up-to-date version still from my dropbox history? slightly smiling face

Dropboxer

Hey @sturnerdolphin. grinning face with smiling eyes

If you have saved all the versions of the files in Dropbox, then yes! You can sync the most updated version to the restored computer. You can even restore older versions of your Dropbox files from your Version History. 

books You can read all about Dropbox Version History here.

You will need to reinstall Dropbox after re-formatting your computer and the app will create a new Dropbox folder that will synchronize the version of the files you had on Dropbox.com to your fixed computer's C drive. Any additional back ups you had before, in other drives, will not be associated or affect the new Dropbox folder or the version of the files that will sync there. 

Feel free to ask more questions. 

Have a nice weekend! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you all... slightly smiling face

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Which File Version Is Kept After Computer Recovery
4 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post