cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my files taking so long to upload.

Why are my files taking so long to upload.

Paul B.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've used 45gb of my 100 without issue. I've uploaded folders of 20gb in 3-4 hours. Trying to upload a folder that is 30gb. It is taking 24 hours. What is wrong? Windows 8.1. Norton Antivirus has Dropbox in allowed list. I've tried disconnecting and re-connecting. This has been going on for days now.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there!

Dropbox can only upload and download as fast as your Internet service provider (ISP) allows. Consumer ISP's normally provide 1/10th the upload speed compared to download speed.

Normally Dropbox doesn't use all of your bandwidth. However, you can change that by manually setting the upload/download speed:

1) Right click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen, by the clock on Windows
or menu bar at the top of your screen on Mac
or menu bar at the top of your screen on Linux
2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Preferences" from the menu
3) Click the "Bandwidth" tab
4) Set the Upload and Download to a specific kB/s limit if you know your connection speed or simply Don't Limit to allow Dropbox to use as much bandwidth as possible

NOTE: Setting your Upload to Don't Limit or a higher number than your connection is capable of will likely cause all other Internet activity on your network to slow significantly.

I hope this helps!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there!

Dropbox can only upload and download as fast as your Internet service provider (ISP) allows. Consumer ISP's normally provide 1/10th the upload speed compared to download speed.

Normally Dropbox doesn't use all of your bandwidth. However, you can change that by manually setting the upload/download speed:

1) Right click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen, by the clock on Windows
or menu bar at the top of your screen on Mac
or menu bar at the top of your screen on Linux
2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Preferences" from the menu
3) Click the "Bandwidth" tab
4) Set the Upload and Download to a specific kB/s limit if you know your connection speed or simply Don't Limit to allow Dropbox to use as much bandwidth as possible

NOTE: Setting your Upload to Don't Limit or a higher number than your connection is capable of will likely cause all other Internet activity on your network to slow significantly.

I hope this helps!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mariedb Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?