Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Why are my pics coming from Dropbox SIDEWAYS when they don't start that way?

Explorer | Level 3

First - I hope this is in the right board/label? If not, I'm happy to move it - but this one seemed most likely. I did do a search of both the app integrated Help and the community help boards, and didn't see anything applicable.

I'm sure my issue is probably user error in some way that I'm not seeing, yet - however, I am not a complete novice with this sort of thing and generally don't have issues like this... so I'm wondering if there's a setting I missed or some particular reason this is happening.

Basically - I am taking photos of merchandise with my iphone X... uploading them into dropbox... then retrieving them from dropbox into Quickbooks Point of Sale Pro 18.0 (POS) software on my laptop (brand new, details avail if relevant). 

The photos are right-side up on my phone... and still appeared rightside up in dropbox... but once uploaded into the POS, they're suddenly rotated sideways. There's no way to reorient or edit them in any way within the POS software. I tried rotating them preemptively both on my phone AND in dropbox... but they still show up rotated one quarter (90 degrees) counterclockwise/to the left.

For what it's worth - I've uploaded pics into this software many times from photos moved onto the computer in other (slower) ways with no similar issues - I figured using dropbox would help speed up this process.

Anyone know why this is or how to fix it? I can live with it if I must - these pics are just for our reference so we can visually check that the item in question is the one in inventory, since sometimes dishonest people like to switch tags to get a cheaper price.... so sideways pics aren't a dealbreaker... but it would certainly be BETTER to have them upright, since this application is the only reason I'm using dropbox at all,

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

5 Replies

Re: Why are my pics coming from Dropbox SIDEWAYS when they start that way?

Dropboxer
Hey @elseless, welcome to the Dropbox Community & thanks for the detailed description! 

For starters, both the label & board selection have been spot-on! 

As you mentioned that your files sync on the Dropbox website correctly & you’re facing this issue only upon accessing them within the third-party app, this makes me think that it's defaulting to a specific view. At the moment, you could further experiment with the photo rotation & see if that’s reflected within the app you’re using. 

Having said that, I understand that getting this to work is important to you & for that reason I’ll leave this question open to our Community of users; maybe someone could offer their insight on alternative /out-of-the-box solutions.

Thanks for choosing Dropbox & please let me know if I've misunderstood anything along the way or if you have any additional questions for me! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response, Jane.

For what it's worth - I've uploaded pics into this software many times from photos moved onto the computer in other (slower) ways with no similar issues - I figured using dropbox would help speed up this process. (added this to the orig post, too, for clarification) .

There don't appear to be any default views for photos within the POS, and I've never had this issue uploading pics to this software before, and I've used this POS for over 10 years... so I'm hesitant to point to that as the culprite. I could be wrong, of course. slightly smiling face

Hopefully, someone out there has had a similar experience and has some suggestions!

Dropboxer
I appreciate the detailed reply @elseless

If it's not too much to ask, could you include two screenshots (omitting personal info please) with an example file as you’re previewing it on your iPhone/viewing it within the third-party app vs the same file uploaded from your desktop to the third-party app? 

Thanks again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

I"m not quite sure if this is what you're asking for - since I can't directly upload pics from my iphone into the POS software on a computer... I've gotten them to the POS in several ways in the past - I generally send them to myself thru email or a text app or FB messenger - with any of these methods, I take pics with my iphone... then send them to myself thru email/text/FB Msgr... then opening that email/text/FB on my computer... downloading images into a file and then in the POS, I click on "upload picture" and pull it from that file.

Dropbox is a few less steps, which is nice... except for the sideways thing lol.

Anyway -- included are screenshots of pics of merchandise taken within my iphone camera/images app (you'll see a group of photos in the file)... then the transfer/upload process with Dropbox... followed by the same process via email (it's a large pic, so you can only see the top...but it's rightside up) ... and the last one is both images (dropbox on left & email on right), side by side. 

Sorry -- that's more pics than you asked for... but I'm nothing if not thorough! 

If this isn't what you're asking for, I apologize... hopefully it is! I appreciate your help slightly smiling face

k

(PS I should have edited this first pic, I'm sorry! Lots of blank space below the thumbnails...)

SS of image file on iphone, from which both photos will originate:Photo Nov 17, 2 45 42 PM.pngSS of dropbox file with images ready to upload into POS:

SSdropboxtoPOS.png

SS of dropbox item image after upload:

SSdropboxtoPOS2.pngimage from iphone in gmail box (downloaded into a file from here):SSemailboots.png

Uploading same image into POS:SSemailtoPOS.png

Dropbox (left) and emailed photo (right) side by side after upload:

SSsidebyside.png

Dropboxer
I have to admit this has been very detailed @elseless; that’s mostly appreciated! 

I’ve just sent you a brief message, just so as to have a closer look at the file’s metadata & submit you reports to our higher-level technicians in form of a question if needed. Please have a look at the inbox connected to your Community profile & we’ll take it from there. 

Thanks for keeping in touch with me here! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why are my pics coming from Dropbox SIDEWAYS when they don't start that way?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post