Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Why aren't my files syncing to Dropbox?

Level 5

I have quite a lot of new files on my desktop computer that have not synced recently to Dropbox. The folders are checked in Settings and as far as I can tell should be syncing. But the names I give most of my data files end with a date in the format YYYY-MM-DD so I can see no 2019 files have been synced. I don't use colons in my filenames. Are there other characters that cause a file not to be synced? Any ideas about what else may be causing it? Thanks in advance.

9 Replies

Re: Why aren't my files syncing to Dropbox?

Super User II

@Erik_S wrote:

Are there other characters that cause a file not to be synced?

Level 5

Thanks. All my files pass the bad files check, and when I manually copy a new subfolder (that I think should have been synced to Dropbox automatically) into Dropbox on my PC the folder shows up and has a check mark as though it's synced. However, the files are not present on Dropbox.com or my iPad. No files created this year in any corresponding desktop computer folders are synced. The files I've deleted from selected folders are not deleted from Dropbox on my desktop machine, dropbox.com or my iPad. Should I be doing something other than just copying my desktop files into the Dropbox folder or its subfolders? Am I supposed to do something other than just copy them?

Any other ideas?

Level 4

@Erik_S wrote:

Thanks. All my files pass the bad files check, and when I manually copy a new subfolder (that I think should have been synced to Dropbox automatically) into Dropbox on my PC the folder shows up and has a check mark as though it's synced. However, the files are not present on Dropbox.com or my iPad. No files created this year in any corresponding desktop computer folders are synced. The files I've deleted from selected folders are not deleted from Dropbox on my desktop machine, dropbox.com or my iPad. Should I be doing something other than just copying my desktop files into the Dropbox folder or its subfolders? Am I supposed to do something other than just copy them?

Any other ideas?

me too!

Level 4

2019-01-15.png

Dropboxer

Hey there (@Erik_S) & (@manhcuong), apologies for the tardy reply on our end; I’d like to touch base with you here on any progress made on your end. I’m wondering if you’ve been able to resolve your concern in regards to the syncing issue you had described initially. Please do let me know & we’ll take it from there. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

I have the same problem!!!!

Level 5

Thanks for asking. I also had a number of other problems on my computer, so I finally did a clean reinstall of Windows and all my apps. That took care of the Dropbox issue and the others.

Level 2

Hi there. I had the same problem. I hadn't been using this Mac for nearly 6 month. The synch took hours - probably because I work to hard slightly smiling face. After I finally gave up and tried everything besides reading this post, I decided to look after the problem the next day. And than I received the message that the used Dropbox is an older version and I need to install an update.

Finally - problem fixed! All files are updated and I can continue to work. 

Dropboxer
Happy to hear that this has now been sorted for you both (@Erik_S) & (@Peppermintsue) & I appreciate it that you circled back to me to let me know what happened after my nudge! Unicorn

I’m just leaving a brief note as a closing; please don’t hesitate to ping me here again if you have any more thoughts or questions & it will be a pleasure to work with you again in the future. Take care until then! 

When it comes to the issue you’re currently facing on your end (@EvaWagner), I’ve located your open Support request on our system & I can see that my colleague has replied to you there. At the moment they’re awaiting your next email, in order to determine the best next steps for you. Have you seen their last message Eva? 

Please feel free to either reply to my coworker via email or let me know here in case you need further assistance in any way & I’ll check back with you asap. Thanks again for posting us on the Dropbox Community & taking the extra step to write in to us. 

Happy Friday to all! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why aren't my files syncing to Dropbox?
9 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post