Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Why can't I see my smart sync files on my computer?

Explorer | Level 3

I have Smart Sync enabled on my computer, and have selected a range of folders to be online only; however I've just realised that none of these files are appearing on my computer, even though they're still stored online in my account on the Dropbox Website.

Why can't I see these smart sync files on my computer? There is absolutley no icon showing at the desktop level on my computer (where these icons should be).  Further, how do I retrieve these files?

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Why can't I see my smart sync files on my computer?

Dropboxer

Hey there @AndrewBrinsmead. Thanks for posting your first thread. 

If you don't have the Dropbox icon there Dropbox is not installed or running. You should be seeing this icon (select the dropdown of your Operating system in the article): https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-tray-menu-bar

If you don't have it, please download Dropbox.

If you do, let's check yous syncing status. Do you you "Syncing" when you click on the Dropbox icon? Arrows Counter Clock thinking face

Please add screenshots showing what you see online and on your desktop. It will help me understand the problem better. 

Thank you in advance! nerd face

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Fiona,

I've had Dropbox running quite happily on my computers for several years, the only problem that I've had is that Smart Sync is not operating - none of the files that I'd assigned as smart sync (and are present on my Dropbox account online).

Here's a couple of screengrabs showing that all the files on my computers are fully synced, but none of the Smart Sync files are shown on my computer

This comparison between one folder (called "job notes (drop box)"), shows the difference in my files that are online versus what's on my computer at the desktop level.  The third screen grab shows that Dropbox says that it's fully synced on my computer

Explorer | Level 3

dropbox folder on computer.jpg

Explorer | Level 3

job notes folder on dropbox.png

Explorer | Level 3

dropbox synced.png

Explorer | Level 3

I've found a partial solution: for some reason dropbox isn't syncing files & folders that I've designated as smartsync.  When I go into my selective sync settings, I have to choose these smart sync files & folders to have them sync correctly as smart sync files / folders on my computer desktop

The downside of this is that I now have to go through several different folder hierachies to try to remember which files & folders that I've designated as Smart sync, and manually select them to be synced.

Why did Dropbox turn off the selective syncing for any files / folders designated as Smart sync?  I didn't.

Dropboxer

How this comment finds you starting a nice week! Coffee

Please let me know what has changed for you with Selective Sync. Did you have a list of selectively synced folders that have not synced correctly? I do see your files are synced as local in the screenshots White check mark, but I would like to see what your Preferences show both for Selective Sync and Smart Sync to understand what is going on. 

Please navigate to your desktop application Preferences and the "Sync" tab and show me what you see for both features (Selective Sync and Smart Sync). 

What happens when you right click on a file and then choose Smart Sync online only? Do you not have this option for your local files? 

Looking forward to the screenshots. Thank you for your patience. @AndrewBrinsmead

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why can't I see my smart sync files on my computer?
7 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post