cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dropbox not in task bar

Why can't I see the Dropbox desktop app icon on my Windows 10 device?

robtaylor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i have windows 10s that i use for work. the problem is that i dont have the dropbox icon in my task bar. i've tried to right click the task bar and go to taskbar settings, then to properties ( no properties to click on) or notifications ( no notifications to click on). i dont have dropbox in my save section on microsoft excel... but i can access it through normal means. i have the icon on my desktop and such. i cant add it to anything because it dont show up. i have uninstalled and re-installed...still nothing. i really need this to be fixed. ive read all i can through the forum but nothing seems to work. thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@robtaylor wrote:

i have windows 10s that i use for work. the problem is that i dont have the dropboix icon in my task bar.

Do you mean in your system tray? The icon that syncs your files? If so, there's nothing to fix. The Dropbox app from the Microsoft Store doesn't sync your files like the regular Dropbox client, and it has no tray icon. The Dropbox app from the stire is intended for mobile devices, like tablets. It provides access to the files in your account, but those files don't reside on your system. As such, there is no local Dropbox folder for you to reference from within apps like Excel, etc.

Remember that Windows 10S does not run standard desktop applications, so you can't install the full Dropbox client on it. You're limited to apps from the Microsoft Store.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Not applicable
Go to solution

@robtaylor have you attempted a full/complete uninstall of Dropbox? Or just the uninstall from Programs & Features? If not, try this:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

Click Windows and then make sure you do all of the separate sections. It will make sure all lingering system files are removed.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@robtaylor wrote:

i have windows 10s that i use for work. the problem is that i dont have the dropboix icon in my task bar.

Do you mean in your system tray? The icon that syncs your files? If so, there's nothing to fix. The Dropbox app from the Microsoft Store doesn't sync your files like the regular Dropbox client, and it has no tray icon. The Dropbox app from the stire is intended for mobile devices, like tablets. It provides access to the files in your account, but those files don't reside on your system. As such, there is no local Dropbox folder for you to reference from within apps like Excel, etc.

Remember that Windows 10S does not run standard desktop applications, so you can't install the full Dropbox client on it. You're limited to apps from the Microsoft Store.

robtaylor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

so what youre saying is that i have to go back to the old school way and save in a file somewhere in my computer then drop it into dropbox? this is how ive been doing it but, thought i could save it like i used to on my old system. where i just click the dropbox icon on the side of the page. 

well... this sucks. wish i would have been told this before i bought this particular computer. Bestbuy (smh) lesson learned. thanks for the help guys.

Not applicable
Go to solution
I thought you could still use dropbox on windows 10. I saw it on my surface laptop 2, so I'm am not sure why it doesn't work. Are you using a personal comput or one owned by your work?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@anonymous wrote:
I thought you could still use dropbox on windows 10.

You can, but you also said "Windows 10s" which is different. Windows 10 in S mode doesn't allow desktop applications. It only allows app from the Microsoft App Store. It's more like what you'd find on a tablet; a slimmed-down version of the operating system meant for lower power systems, with speed and security in mind.

With S mode, you can only install the Dropbox app from the App Store, and not the full Dropbox client that offers syncing and the full Dropbox experience.

Need more support?