Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Why have all my files started re syncing again?

New member | Level 2

Why have all my files started in resyncing again suddenly? I have 1.4 million files, it will take more than a month for me to be able to properly use dropbox again? 

Tags (1)
59 Replies

Re: Why have all my files started re syncing again?

Dropboxer
Hey there (@MCTWOSEAT), in order to determine what’s causing this & whether this is expected or not, you may start from the following: 

#1. For starters, please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your desktop (60.4.107) & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray/ menu bar. 

More information

system-tray.png

menu-bar.png

Once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, you’ll see the syncing status (eg. Up-To-Date, Indexing &c). What does the message there read for you?  

Moreover, can you please confirm you’re not using Symlinks nor referenced files, as this may cause continuous syncing? 

#2. Now, it's my understanding that you have a large number of files on your account. Please bear in mind that, when you launch Dropbox it needs to index all the changes that haven’t been synced down since the last time this device was connected. In other words, if you hadn’t used this device during the weekend & there were a lot of changes made, then these will need to be reflected locally as well. For that reason, Dropbox will index & sync your changes in the background as soon as you connect to a network. 

#3.  If i were in your shoes, I’d adjust my bandwidth locally to sync a bit faster & I’d also utilize the Selective Sync feature to reduce the overall load of the desktop app, which lets you select only the folders you want to be synced locally on this device. 

Hopefully my advice will help you tackle this syncing issue & please do keep me updated on this discussion on how my pointers work for you. Thanks again for reaching out to us & I'm wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Same problem here. Suddenly, Dropbox started to sync all of my files (around 145.000) once again. It says downloading around 127K files and indexing around 18K. It is consuming all of my CPU and upload bandwidth (I know I can limit these). How can I stop/prevent this from happening? In an hour it has synced less than 1.000! Literally, nothing has changed, nor the settings nor the files within my folder.

I have everything up to date, macOS Mojave (10.14.5), Dropbox v77.3.127, paid user.

Dropboxer
Hey @laresbernardo, I’ve just sent you a brief message on my end, just so as to check back on your account specifics on my tools & further advise regarding the syncing issue you’ve outlined us here. 

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. Thanks for taking the time to post us your report on the Dropbox Community! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I have a similar issue (has only just started with most recent Dropbox update) that if I have to reboot the computer (MacBook Pro, 2016) after a crash, when Dropbox restarts, it syncs all my files (400,000+), which takes a long time (overnight, at least).

When Dropbox restarts, I get a notification that my "admin" (who is me... as far as I know) has set new files to be online-only (which I defnitely haven't done). So I go into Preferences > Sync and uncheck the "let my admin manage this setting" box and make sure it's set to Local for new content default.  This doesn't seem to make any difference to the syncing.

I'm guessing that when the computer crashes, some Dropbox log is not properly saved and so it re-indexes (and re-syncs) everything, but it's kind of annoying.

Dropboxer

Hey @imaginaries, thanks for checking in with us here; as I’d like to expedite matters for you, I’ve already sent you a brief message on my end. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email if you’d like to work on that with me & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you soon. Thanks again!

Jane

New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem--started a couple of months ago on one computer and now it's affecting all of them.  Dropbox is now resyncing thousands of files on every machine.  It is impossible to get work done waiting for hours and hours for syncing to take place. 

The solution above did not help me.  I have gone through it in detail, I have none of those things and have changed nothing on any system.  This seems to be related to the changes made in the application. 

Dropboxer
Hey @szt62 , as you mentioned that this is affecting more than one devices & you’ve already checked back on my pointers above, then I’d need to have a closer look into what you’re describing us through our Official Support channel. For that reason, I’ve just sent you a brief message, just so as to see how we could improve that based on the info I have on file on my tools. 

Please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there!

Jane

Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the same problem...

Started downloading 200k files...can't use the PC for 3 days now on...

Dropboxer
Hey @overloudestudio, thanks for the nudge; I can see that you’re now discussing that with my Social Media coworkers via email, so it would be best if we gathered all relevant details under the same email chain. I have now included a copy of your comments here on your ongoing correspondence, however rest assured that you’re in safe hands already. 

I hope that you manage to resolve the syncing issue that's bothering you soon & please feel free to touch-base with me here should you have any follow-up inquiries or thoughts. Thanks!

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why have all my files started re syncing again?
59 Replies
21 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post