Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Why is my folder still a shared folder even after I removed the other member?

New member | Level 2

Previously I was sharing a folder with one other dropbox user, and now I have removed them. However the folder icon still denotes that it is a shared folder (both in the finder and on the web app). Any solution? THx.

7 Replies

Re: Unsharing

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @SS19 - have you restarted your computer to see if this persists?

If you are following these steps to un-share the folder in question you shouldn't be getting this. I just did this on my end on a shared folder and the icon switched to a normal folder's one right away as soon as I unshared it so I would suggest that you give this another try while making sure that you've unshared this folder with all of the members of the folder.

I hope this points you towards the right direction and please let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Why is my folder still a shared folder even after I removed the other member?

Super User II

@SS19

To expand on what @Walter stated, simply removing all members of a share doesn't unshare the folder. It's still shared with you as the only member. The only way to properly unshare a folder is to follow the steps that @Walter posted.

New member | Level 2

Same issue. I created the original folder and unshared it , and it still shows the shared icon and now I can't share the subfolders, I can only send a link. Please fix this, as it's been a probelem for a while.

Dropboxer

If it shows as shared (you can verify this by the icon on the folder itself) it's still considered a shared folder with you as the only member. Have you tried un-sharing it completely @Robin W.16

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Ridiculous.  If everybody but the owner of the folder is removed then the icon should change, full stop.  Instead, you have to "unshare" it with yourself.  Makes no bloody sense at all.

Super User II

@CharlieStanford wrote:

If everybody but the owner of the folder is removed then the icon should change, full stop.  Instead, you have to "unshare" it with yourself.  Makes no bloody sense at all.

If your intention is to unshare the folder, why bother going through the effort of removing members. Just unshare it. It's the only step you need.

New member | Level 2

Because it doesn't always work like that in the real world where a folder might be shared with dozens of people.  Users can, and usually do, leave a project in stages at least in fairly big organizations.  But, yes, I suppose when the last one leaves the easiest thing to do would be to unshare the entire folder but all along the owner has just been removing users a few at a time.  He or she would have to remember that when the last one goes you can't just remove him or her, and have the folder then appear as unshared, you have to unshare the folder at that point which is still just as silly as it was when I posted my first response a few hours ago, if not more.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why is my folder still a shared folder even after I removed the other member?
7 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post