Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Why there is a ".dropbox" file in my dropbox folder?

YHX
Explorer | Level 3

Why there is a 「.dropbox」 file in my dropbox folder?

but I use the dropbox web version, that file does not exist!

When I delete it, it will recreate at next computer booting.

https://i.imgur.com/wC9bplI.png

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: 「.dropbox」 file?

Star Collaborator | Level 19

HI @YHX,

That file is dedicated for internal Dropbox application use. It is special, the application keeps it out of sync. Usually such files and folders are hidden, but seems you has enabled hidden entries visibility in your file explorer. Don't delete service things, could affect application work! Just ignore it, if you prefer your hidden entries to be no so hidden. 😉
Hope this helps.

YHX
Explorer | Level 3

@Здравко wrote:

HI @YHX,

That file is dedicated for internal Dropbox application use. It is special, the application keeps it out of sync. Usually such files and folders are hidden, but seems you has enabled hidden entries visibility in your file explorer. Don't delete service things, could affect application work! Just ignore it, if you prefer your hidden entries to be no so hidden. 😉
Hope this helps.

Hi, @Здравко 

Thanks for your reply.

I have NOT enabled hidden entries visibility, so should I set 「.dropbox」to be hidden??

(I deleted it before, but it will recreated on next time I booting my computer, haha.)

Star Collaborator | Level 19

@YHX wrote:

I have NOT enabled hidden entries visibility, so should I set 「.dropbox」to be hidden??

Hi again @YHX,

It's strange... thinking face Usually, service files/folders (like discussed) are hidden, so the file should already was hidden. If it's not yet, make it (of course). Also check out the file explorer view menu, in part "Show/hide", the checkbox "Hidden items". I suppose you know what should (not) be there. winking face

Cheers.

PS: The same is valid for directory ".dropbox.cache" on same place.

YHX
Explorer | Level 3

OK, I see, I will do it manually, thanks a lot!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why there is a ".dropbox" file in my dropbox folder?
4 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post