cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Will Dropbox change any timestamps but date modified?

Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I found the related post

However, I have a slightly different question/proposition/suggestion for Dropbox R&D. 

Help Center didn't help with this article

When I uploaded files directly to the Dropbox from my PC Windows, and then sync files and folders to laptop and PC, will Dropbox leave at least Date or Creation Date or another Date's attribute unchanged?!

I mean at least one original time attribute should not be changed! Especially when we are talking about photos.

Is it implemented in dropbox?

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Will Dropbox change any timestamps but date modified?

Dropboxer

Hello @Aladdin!

Great question. White check mark

The metadata of a file is not changed/affected by Dropbox. You can still find the creation date of the file. The modification date is the date when this file was opened or edited in Dropbox. 

I will add a few Community discussion that analyze this even more. 

Let me know if you have more questoions and if you need more help seeing information for your files locally or online. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

well, it will be great to know Dropbox doesn't change file creation timestamp! If so -> that's a great post to let everyone know about this.

Because your main cloud competitor (G) changed all date timestamps for all my files and folders! I'm so angry! And I'm sure that many people (like me) use G and don't know about this threat! My issue occurred when I uploaded files and folders from laptop and PC (both on Windows) to the online G cloud. I just tried to reorganized everything, how could I know?! So now all files and folders with new date timestamps!

I hope Dropbox doesn't behave like this. I wish you attract more customers with Dropbox's intelligent sync behavior with date stamps.

Dropboxer

Thank you for your kind and positive feedback. 

I am glad Dropbox is matching your needs! grinning face with smiling eyes

I was not aware of this problem with this third party could service. So thanks for sharing. Not because I work here but I have only used the Dropbox cloud in my life to be honest. 

Get back to the Community with any other questions you might have. 

We are here for you. 

Cheers! 

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

thank you. For those who work in Dropbox - if you need a link to the question-post I made in G forum - just let me know. Their "kindest reply-solution" made me feel like I'm the dummiest user in the world. 

They don't have any solution and I think they don't see a problem in such behavior, which is stupid from their side. 

Thanks God I marked almost all my edited photos with time/date info just in the files' names. But can you imagine if one has many files for any kind of work and with such "magic" all the files become unfiltered and unsorted for date!

Dropboxer

Thank you for the suggestion. 

If the post there was relevant to a Dropbox issue you could post it in your comments. If not, it would not be useful for the members of our Community to have the link in this thread.

After all your feedback is very straight forward and I am sure if others are using this app, will know about this problem. 

I wish you to have best of luck with your files and again if you need anything Dropbox related, we'd be happy to see another post from you. 

Thank you. Happy Friday! Beers

Fiona

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Will Dropbox change any timestamps but date modified?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post